RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 wont boot- Stuck at Loading Operating System

fredp1

Hi,

Yesterday, I found my WHS2011 will not boot.

It is stuck at the Loading Operating System prompt.

Its as if, it doesn't know which is the boot disk/partition or something.

I did notice the array was performing a background rebuild of the data array when I first saw it.

The boot disk is Raid 1 on a Dell Raid controller.

The data disk is Raid 5 on a Dell Raid controller.

I let the rebuild complete and checked the raid rom to ensure all tasks were completed.

I've booted into WinPE (Shift F10) when installing WHS2011. I ran diskpart to confirm the boot and data disks are okay and was able to list the directories/data from dos/winpe. I ran a chkdsk on both disks without errors.

I'm trying to avoid to do a new install over the boot drive, so I/we can learn from this experience.

I have no backups too. :o

Can anyone help get the server to boot again?

Thanks

Fred

P.S.

I suspect(hope) the reason for the array been rebuilt is because some operation (I cannot remember exactly which one) told the server to shutown when finished and the didn't flush the cache to disk or I had a power glitch. A battery module for the array has been ordered.

I got my server to work again thanks to this link.http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/0e6a7b6a-70de-41af-b2c8-5f8f3c86cef7/

Here is a quoted summary

Have found this problem with Win7 and 2008 servers. First thing to check: Is there a hidden boot partition. (ie. A partition with no drive letter assigned to it).

A lot of OEM's will create a small hidden boot partition. So check in Dislkpart. and if there is one, make this partition active. Some people mistakenly make their C: partition active when no bootmgr is present on this volume.

• Boot from DVD, and enter the recovery command prompt (Shift-F10 for WHS2011)
  • Diskpart
  • List Disks
  • Select Disk 0
  • List Partitions (look for small partition possibly around 100MB ususlly partition 1)
  • Select Partition 1
  • active
  • exit
  • reboot

Hope this helps someone.

The last thing I remember running before the problem was the HD Tune Pro Error Scan test on my data volume.

I'll try it again and see if I can spot the error.

Don't forget, if you're installing from scratch, or reinstalling, you can blow away that oem partition and just have C: as the boot/primary/active partition.

Hi Icon,

How do I install without the oem partition? I'd like to reinstall with a larger C: and no oem partition.

Thanks

After I posted my "fix" I realised I missed part of the solution.

While trying to get the server to boot, I tried many things, then the problem changed to missing bootloader.

The above solution was to fix the bootloader problem.

I'll post again the full solution as I cannot boot again. Before going to bed, I run a raid consistency check on both arrays and now I'm back to square one. hmmm its a bit of a worry with the raid is breaking my system.

Hi Icon,

How do I install without the oem partition? I'd like to reinstall with a larger C: and no oem partition.

Thanks

We did this at work. All we did was get a partition utility and delete all partitions. I'm on vacation this week so I can't easly find out which one, but there are plenty of free ones out there. Then we installed the OS normally. It found the empty drive and created the partition it needed.

So if I delete all partitions and format the drive as 1 big C: just before installing WHS2011, it will use that partition as the target installation?

So if I delete all partitions and format the drive as 1 big C: just before installing WHS2011, it will use that partition as the target installation?

You shouldn't need to format it at all. Windows is designed so it can install on a bare drive, which is sorta what you create when you remove all the partitions. I think those vendor partitions are mostly there so you can do a recovery install from them if your system gets screwed up, which I'm sure will never happen to your system :)

Edited by ikon

I've narrowed the problem down to the Raid card.

It booted with the data drives disconnected.

I then reconnected the data disks at it didn't boot. I did notice the data virtual disk in a state of background inititialising in the raid. I rebuild/initialized the data vd and now it boots. It's almost as if it wont boot until the background initializing has completed. Very odd.

I'll keep digging to get a logical explanation.