RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

2 alerts - windows update & security center not running &

jeffla

Nevermind, V1 restore is in progress. I give up with 2011.

Edited by jeffla

pcdoc

Sorry to hear that. Both are great products but very different. Good luck.

timekills

Funny, because I got those alerts MUCH more with v1 than I do with 2011. Obviously they were not true, just the report went up to the WHS before the service was fully complete. Delaying the start of those services also delayed the reporting of them so any PCs that were a little slow to boot wouldn't give those errors. They all resolve themselves in a few minutes anyway.

jeffla

My 1st 2011 build was nothing but problems from the beginning. So after waking up the other day to discover the server was unable to do any backups (would not start service), the normal Windows update/security center alerts would not clear and it claimed none of my backups were setup anymore. This comes after a week earlier I had to do several server restores to fix issues that had arisen that week which I don't remember what they were anymore. A week before that something was wrong with shadow copy service, the week before that.....you get the point. I had spent the last 3 weekends attempting to solve problems that were beyond my current abilities. So I just said fu-ck it and put V1 back on there.

So after feeling relieved V1 was safely serving my media, I pulled the drive and put the 2011 drive back in and did a full reinstall of the OS. So far it has been running much better than before. I'm starting to think something went wrong with the initial install and all my server restores were only restoring a bad installation. In the meantime, I will continue using 2011 and will just put the V1 drive back in every so often to keep it up to date just in case.

Initially this thread was started because I wanted help fixing my 2011 install. But about 10mins later I gave up and realized I could not delete the post. So I edited it to what it says now.

Edited by jeffla

pcdoc

I would certainly begin at looking at some of your hardware as stability and performance have been better on 2011 IMO.

ikon

I agree with pcdoc, there is something wrong with the system if you've been having so many issues. My test 2011 machine (which is actually my old Win7 desktop computer) has been running for several months and has never given any trouble. Granted, I'm not making heavy use of it (yet) but still, it's been running solid. From you description I'm wondering if you have disk or RAM issues.

jeffla

My ex487 does in fact have 2 new drives and new ram with the installation of 2011. So it's definitely possible one of those items is not good. I had a buddy use Spinrite on the drives when I got them, he simply gave them back to me and said you're good to do. I'll look into how you test memory and report back. The ram was new from newegg so if it is defective, an exchange should be quite easy. If the ram checks out I'll move onto the drives.

I can't eliminate the possibility that I messed something up when I installed 2011 the 1st time. While trying to get Subsonic, WebcamXP and PS3MS to run as a service I very well could have screwed things up. That and who knows if Subsonic, WebcamXP and PS3MS are completely compatible with 2011. I don't remember anything memorable about setting it up, just that I had a lot of problems.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this coming weekend won't require any fiddling with the MSS.

ikon

My ex487 does in fact have 2 new drives and new ram with the installation of 2011. So it's definitely possible one of those items is not good. I had a buddy use Spinrite on the drives when I got them, he simply gave them back to me and said you're good to do. I'll look into how you test memory and report back. The ram was new from newegg so if it is defective, an exchange should be quite easy. If the ram checks out I'll move onto the drives.

I can't eliminate the possibility that I messed something up when I installed 2011 the 1st time. While trying to get Subsonic, WebcamXP and PS3MS to run as a service I very well could have screwed things up. That and who knows if Subsonic, WebcamXP and PS3MS are completely compatible with 2011. I don't remember anything memorable about setting it up, just that I had a lot of problems.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this coming weekend won't require any fiddling with the MSS.

A few suggestions:

1. after you get a fresh install of 2011 done, with all the updates, make a clone of the system drive as a backup. If the main drive goes sideways, clone it back from the backup.
  2. let the fresh install lof 2011 run for a couple of weeks without any of the add-ins, just to get a baseline.
  3. when you do go to install the add-ins do them 1 at a time, and let the system run for a week with each new add-in before installing the next one.

jeffla

that's a great suggestion, unfortunately, I've already installed Subsonic and WebcamXP. But I'll hold off on installing PS3MS.

Since I don't have another PC that is compatible with the MSS memory type, I'm gonna wait and see what happens. If I have more issues in the future, I'll pay microcenter to test my ram for me or see if my buddies desktop uses the same type of ram. Darn headless server. Oh well.