RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 failed to start

LCD72

Hi everyone

I used to browse this great forum for tips and infos, before I decided to go with WHS...

I have succesfully built two machines, but now I have problems with the recent one:

AMD Athlon X2 245 CPU

ASUS M4A78LT-M motherboard

2 x 4GB DDR3 1033MHz Kingmax memory

12 x Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 HDD (2TB)

2 x Noname 4 port SATA2 RAID card, using only as a port multipler

Fractal Design Define XL case

After weeks of use, this afternoon while I was transferring some HD movies from my iMac, the server restarted itself, but failed to boot again properly.

At the Windows Error Recovery, I went with the Startup Repair option and at the end of the process, I got this message:

Root cause found:

-----------------------------

System volume on disk is corrupt.

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)

Result: completed succesfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 0ms

Unfortunately after restart, nothing really changed...

I replaced the memory sticks, removed all the HDD's, except the system disk (which is a WD500Gb). No success... :(

Although there's no critical data on the RAID block, only my 400+ Bluray collection, it would be more than unconvenient to rebuild the whole system again...

Any thoughts how to solve this situation without loosing al the data on my RAID?

Thanks!

p.s.: excuse my poor english... :)

Edited by LCD72

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• LCD72

I was going to say all kinds of things, but then I noticed you didn't state which WHS you're running, v1 or 2011? I think that's kind of important.

BTW, you English is excellent. I could point out a few, small things you could correct, but only if you're really interested. Overall, you have nothing to worry about.

I was going to say all kinds of things, but then I noticed you didn't state which WHS you're running, v1 or 2011? I think that's kind of important.

BTW, you English is excellent. I could point out a few, small things you could correct, but only if you're really interested. Overall, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your kind words :) I'm running WHS2011...

See if you can restart in Safe Mode and run a ChkDSK on those drives.

I can't restart in safe mode. The only two options I have is start in normal mode or run the startup recovery, which gave me the above error message and put the system into an endless loop of recovery attempts :(

Edited by LCD72

A windows machine will not let you restart in Safe Mode? It is usually F8 at POST.

OK, I'm more than a Mac guy...there are holes in my Windows "education" :-) ...I'll try it right now.

If not F8, then at post you will see the key to get into Safe Mode. OEM systems are usually F8 but home builds can be most anything.

Okay, now I'm at the Advanced Boot Options window. Which mode is for me?

Safe mode

Safe mode with networking

Safe Mode with Command Promt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable low res. video

Last known good configuration (advanced)

Directory services restore mode

Debugging mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally

Plain old "Safe Mode" which will allow you to get to the desktp to run the CHKDSK function on the drive. "with Networking enables the NIC card" which is not needed for this exercise.

Plain old "Safe Mode" which will allow you to get to the desktp to run the CHKDSK function on the drive. "with Networking enables the NIC card" which is not needed for this exercise.

It started to load the drivers, but it's like freezing now...nothing happened on the monitor in the last few minutes