RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is Virtualbox reliable enough for WHS 2011?

Tourniquet

Heya,

the only time i really tested WHS 2011 was in the betaphase and i tried it out with Virtualbox back than. But it wasnt reliable at all, i always got some bluescreen or the virtualbox just hang up on me.

Now im thinking about building and HTPC with a virtualbox for WHS 2011 and i wanted to know it its recommended to use it with virtualbox now, or if its still not reliable enough?!

Its really important to me that the system is very stable like my old scaleo is at the moment.

Would be nice to hear your thoughts.

Tourniquet

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• ikon

• timekills

Personally I would not use VB for WHS especially on an HTPC. If want to use a VM for for WHS, you might want to consider using Hyper-V (see BYOB show 54. I have not had any issues at all with VB but the concept of WHS on VM has to be well planned out as well as making sure that you have enough CPU, memory, and drive performance to do what you want. It can be done but look closely at your needs. IMO, based on your storage needs consisder a small low cost machine and dedicate for WHS. WHS and HTPC are not a good combo on a VM. You can VM WHS and something else, but I would not try and run an HTPC and WHS on the same machine.

Hyper-V is not really an option, because i wanted to use Win7 as Host for Media Center.

Yeah i know it must be planned well. I was thinking about an i7-2600S and 16GB Ram. All the drives i need for WHS would not be virtualized, i'd use the VB raw disk access for this, so the WHS drives are just for WHS etc.

I think with this i7 i have a very good balance between performance and my electricity costs. So the only question for me really is how stable and reliable is WHS on VB.

Why wouldnt you combine this two? I need the HTPC to run 24 / 7 as well as the WHS, so i thought it would be a good and cheaper solution than build two seperate pcs.

Hyper-V is not really an option, because i wanted to use Win7 as Host for Media Center.

Yeah i know it must be planned well. I was thinking about an i7-2600S and 16GB Ram. All the drives i need for WHS would not be virtualized, i'd use the VB raw disk access for this, so the WHS drives are just for WHS etc.

I think with this i7 i have a very good balance between performance and my electricity costs. So the only question for me really is how stable and reliable is WHS on VB.

Why wouldnt you combine this two? I need the HTPC to run 24 / 7 as well as the WHS, so i thought it would be a good and cheaper solution than build two seperate pcs.

As pcdoc says, he wouldn't do it, but if you decide to go ahead, please report back on how well it works. It could be good info for others, especially if it doesn't work well.

I have been using it on a limited basis for testing and have not had any problems with it yet. http://homeservershow.com/deploying-windows-home-server-2011-with-oracle-virtualbox-and-a-drobo-s.html I too would be interested in hearing how it goes. DM me if you have any questions. The product has always worked well for me and I would love to see you try it.

As pcdoc says, he wouldn't do it, but if you decide to go ahead, please report back on how well it works. It could be good info for others, especially if it doesn't work well.

I tried installing the RTM build of WHS 2011 in VirtualBox right after WHS was released. It installed just fine, but when I went to install the VBox additions pack--the part where it installs appropriate device drivers to improve host-to-guest communications, video, etc., it locked up. Subsequent reboots didn't help. If it came back up at all, it was like frozen molasses. Logging on to the desktop took 20-30 minutes, and all 4 CPU cores were pegged at 100% on the host.

Granted, that was several iterations of VBox ago. I encountered similar problems with Server 2008 R2, but those seem to have been resolved in the last few releases of VBox. I just haven't had the time to look into WHS 2011 again.

I tried installing the RTM build of WHS 2011 in VirtualBox right after WHS was released. It installed just fine, but when I went to install the VBox additions pack--the part where it installs appropriate device drivers to improve host-to-guest communications, video, etc., it locked up. Subsequent reboots didn't help. If it came back up at all, it was like frozen molasses. Logging on to the desktop took 20-30 minutes, and all 4 CPU cores were pegged at 100% on the host.

Granted, that was several iterations of VBox ago. I encountered similar problems with Server 2008 R2, but those seem to have been resolved in the last few releases of VBox. I just haven't had the time to look into WHS 2011 again.

Given that 2011 is based on Server 2008 that's actually pretty encouraging for VBox.

Guest no-control

I wouldn't, but thats just my opinion.

I think you're going about it backwards. Use 08R2 and hyper-V then create VM for WHS2011, and a second for HTPC Host for WMC.

I'd try it (I guess I alrady am right now) however I'd do it a bit different than I am doing it today. Today I have all my VBox VMs running on Win7. Works great for what I do, but I would like to try it on S2008R2 as the base and then WHS2011 on top of that. Working on getting some equipment so I can test that out.

I think hyper-v is not your average tech guy solution and have found VBox to be. Just my opinion and I like to poke the no-control bear!