RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wall Paper On The Desktop in WHS V1

Joe_Miner

Yes, I had to do this on my home server. Unfortunately Microsoft did not include the Terminal Services admin templates for Group Policy, so you have to make the Registry entry manually.

1. Launch Registry Editor.
  2. Drill down to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services.
  3. Create a new REG_DWORD entry named fNoRemoteDesktopWallpaper (yes, there is a lowercase "f" at the beginning of that name).
  4. Set the value to 0x00000000 (decimal 0).
  5. Close Registry Editor.
  6. Reboot the Server.

I've been able to customize my desktop wallpaper ever since! (Note this is for WHS v1 -- I think this is also true for WHS 2011 but I'm not 100% certain.)

Edited by msawyer91

Thanks Matt! I knew there had to be a way -- I guess I should have known that it would likely involve the registry editor :)

Looks like I have another project!

Thanks again!!

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I had to do this on my home server. Unfortunately Microsoft did not include the Terminal Services admin templates for Group Policy, so you have to make the Registry entry manually.

1. Launch Registry Editor.
  2. Drill down to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services.
  3. Create a new REG_DWORD entry named fNoRemoteDesktopWallpaper (yes, there is a lowercase "f" at the beginning of that name).
  4. Set the value to 0x00000000 (decimal 0).
  5. Close Registry Editor.
  6. Reboot the Server.

I've been able to customize my desktop wallpaper ever since! (Note this is for WHS v1 -- I think this is also true for WHS 2011 but I'm not 100% certain.)

Wow! Your the man!

It works with no trouble at all. A quick jump into RegEdit then reboot and I was done. [and i even did this after 2 glasses of wine celebrating Purdue's victory]

I did this in the VM V1 Server [Cylon-Server] that I created in Oracle VM [after blowing up my Hal-Server I had been running in WVM -- another story]

Actually it took me longer to pick out the picture for the Wall Paper than it did for the RegEdit and Reboot :)

BTW -- setting up Wall Paper in 2011 is very easy -- it's just like Win7 -- so in my VM of 2011 [don't have the hardware yet] I'm running a slide show background -- kind of fun [my 2011 VM is running in Oracle VM and is named Enterprise-Server -- OK not very original I know]

Thanks again!!!