RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID 5 expansion complete

dvn

I started with a 3-drive RAID 5 on a RocketRAID 2720 card containing ~1.6 TB data. Using the software, I added one drive to the array, and after 30 hours or so ended up with a 4-drive RAID 5 array. Great! So I opened Disk Management expecting to see a ~2TB unallocated partition. It wasn't there. I thought for a minute and realized I hadn't yet rebooted. I did and the ~2TB unallocated partition appeared in Disk Management.

I think I'm beginning to really like my new RAID card.

You probably know that if you set "foreground" in stead of "background" in the settings that you could do this in about 10 hours. Of course, the volume is not available during a foreground build.

Thanks. I did mess that up. I had intended to go with the foreground, but I apparently chose background by mistake. It turned out OK., though, in that I was able to access my data during the expansion which reassured me that I had not lost it. Being new to this stuff, I wasn't quite sure that this would really work.

I started with a 3-drive RAID 5 on a RocketRAID 2720 card containing ~1.6 TB data. Using the software, I added one drive to the array, and after 30 hours or so ended up with a 4-drive RAID 5 array. Great! So I opened Disk Management expecting to see a ~2TB unallocated partition. It wasn't there. I thought for a minute and realized I hadn't yet rebooted. I did and the ~2TB unallocated partition appeared in Disk Management.

I think I'm beginning to really like my new RAID card.

If you hit refresh when you are in the disk management, it will show right away (see my video). Also, you still have to increase the volume size in disk management. to the full use of you new partition. Pretty cool though. Pretty soon, you and Jim can take over evangelizing about RAID and I can retire... :D