RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Opinions sought on Logitech Revue

texasPI

I picked one up last week and I'm on the fence about it. While i like that it integrates with my Dish DVR really well and only ties up one hdmi port for. I had a Roku for Netflix so this works out well since my tv only has two hdmi ports. I understand honeycomb is coming at some point and will make the experience better (hopefully).

My main beef is that it doesnt support smb and only dlna. Whats worse, it doesnt see the .mkv videos i have.

Short of converting my .mkvs to a compatible format, im not sure i want to keep it becuase of its dlna only support. I thought I'd try it after the price cut. Any thoughts?

I tried it early on and found it to be a pretty buggy experience. With the price drop it may be worth it,

but hope with their acquisition of SageTV the next version will be much better?

I want to like it but what can I say? Even at $99 I'm not seeing the value in it. Plus Dish charges $4 per month for the integration with their DVR. I may return it tomorrow.

It's not an exact comparison, but I really like my HTPC combined with MyMovies and WHS 2011.

The only one that likes it more is the 2 year old who can walk up and point to the DVD that he wants

on the TV screen or through the awesome iPad app.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi TexasPL,

How do you like the WDTV Live +.?

played with a WDTV+, but I find WMC better

I agree with ikon, except I prefer XBMC better. Since I strictly want to stream locally stored content, XBMC works well for me. That said, the WDTV+ is better than any of the other set top boxes I've tried in that it has support for more file formats etc. Still, I find the interface takes too much many steps to drill down to my SMB shares to get at a video. I thought it would be easier for my wife and kids to use but it turns out XBMC coupled with a remote app for our iOS or Android devices is easier for them. My young son can put the TV on the proper input, grab the iPad and open the XBMC remote app, scroll the available titles on the iPad, and then select it from the iPad so it can start it on the TV.

I was looking at the WDTV+ because I had taken my HTPC and turned it into an Untangle router. Since the WDTV+ was not received favorably by the wife (WAF low), I have restored it to its HTPC duties with XBMC. I'm not sure where my WDTV+ fits into things now and it may end up getting returned. I thought of placing it in my son's room but with the iPad and AirVideo, he's all set. On a side note, man what a waste of money it was for me to buy the Plex app. It sucks compared to AirVideo. Too bad I didn't learn about AirVideo until after I had bought the Plex app last year. Oh well, live and learn...

Edited by texasPI