RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
geek-accountant

Image editing software

geek-accountant

As many of you know, I am a big fan of Lightroom and Photoshop. However, those programs can be expensive and overwhelming for the person just getting into photography. So I am looking for alternatives I can suggest. The only real requirement I would have is that it must handle RAW files. I mean how could I recommend an editor that couldn't handle RAW files?

Anyway, two that I have been testing are:

GIMP (needs a plugin to open RAW files)

Picasa (can open RAW files, but really doesn't do anything with the RAW data that I can tell)

Picasa seems very easy to use and in turn is also very limited (no layers), but does have a decent set of basic tools.

Anyone else have a suggestion of a free editor?

pcdoc

Newegg is selling Lightroom for $149.

geek-accountant

I have both Lightroom and Photoshop, what I am looking for is a solution I can recommend to someone looking for a simpler solution. Normally I always recomend Lightroom first, then Photoshop. But that can be too complicated for some people.

ikon

For the kind of simple editting most people I know want, I recommend Windows Live Photo Gallery Editor. I actually use it a fair bit myself; it has pretty good controls for shadow & highlight adjustment, as well as brightness, contrast, and colour.

geek-accountant

Thanks ikon, I will give that a test.

Wol's House

Rather late at replying but in case it helps, here are two applications that may meet your needs:

FastStone

Raw Therapee