RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What's behind Microsoft's tinkering with its low-end server line-up?

TheGuy

Have you folks read this ZDNET article... "What's behind Microsoft tinkering with its low-end server line-up?"

Seems to me that this provides a number of "hints" as to when VAIL may be coming out. Now I know that I am not suppose to say anything to effect the NDA's, but if I look at this article, I may suggest that "it" indicates the following:

1) Microsoft is adding Small office/home office (SOHO) users to its list of potential customers for WHS, which may be a bigger market for Microsoft then the current enthusiast market.
2) If you look at project Aurora, then maybe Aurora and Vail is going to add the value to create the market segment Microsoft needs.
3) If we look at the server series for Microsoft and we all know VAIL is 64 bit based on Windows Server 2008 R2.
4) And if you look at the Microsoft Server Product Roadmap. You will see that a picture is forming, here.
5) Windows Small Business Server (SBS) is tailored for use by 75 users max.
6) WHS is tailored at 10 users max.
7) WHS and SBS aren

If you install Vail, you will notice that it say's Premium. So I'm guessing that there will be a basic model for 10 users and the Premium will include Media Center as does "Windows 7 Home Premium" and it wil be 15 users just like Foundation Server.

Ok you chose Oct 1.2010, I'll choose Oct 23, 2010 exactly one year after Windows 7 release.

• 4 weeks later...

more changes... something is changing....

Today Microsoft announced that effective June 30, 2010, Microsoft will discontinue future development of Windows Essential Business Server (EBS)the infrastructure solution we designed specifically for midsize businesses. This blog post is to specifically answer the question around whether the change affects other Microsoft solution products.
The short answer is, no.

In no way does today

somethings are moving, changing...

Today Microsoft announced that effective June 30, 2010, Microsoft will discontinue future development of Windows Essential Business Server (EBS)the infrastructure solution we designed specifically for midsize businesses. This blog post is to specifically answer the question around whether the change affects other Microsoft solution products.
The short answer is, no.

In no way does today

somethings are changing, moving...

The short answer is, no.

In no way does today