RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Confused about hard drives.... which WD?

e_merlin

Hi all,

I am building in the process of building WHS2011 server and have sorted the OS drive (icydock), but have moved on to the data drives.

Am I wrong in assuming the best choice is the EARX drives are a good choice? They seem like the newest drive out there. I am a WD fan, but would consider others.

Any recommendations?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• e_merlin

Hi all,

I am building in the process of building WHS2011 server and have sorted the OS drive (icydock), but have moved on to the data drives.

Am I wrong in assuming the best choice is the EARX drives are a good choice? They seem like the newest drive out there. I am a WD fan, but would consider others.

Any recommendations?

I don't know about calling them the 'best' choice, since that is kinda situation dependent, but they are large, and they are fast. I'm waiting to see how reliable they are.

I recommend others so you don't have to worry about jumpers, advanced format, etc. There are lovers of WD on here and will tell you these drives are fine as well. To a degree it is personal choice.

I recommend others so you don't have to worry about jumpers, advanced format, etc. There are lovers of WD on here and will tell you these drives are fine as well. To a degree it is personal choice.

"I recommend others so " - which ones?

Just about anything but WD. I use Hitachi but now that WD owns them I will be switching to Samsung, or possibly Seagate.

The only brand I won't buy is Seagate; way too many problems over the years.

Five to seven years ago and older, I agree but I haven't had any problems with them since. Have you?

Are we talking data storage or the OS? I like for use Blacks for the OS and the others are personal choices. For me, I've been using Hitachti and Samsung drives this year for data with zero incidents or worries to this point.

Hi all,

Any recommendations?

The EARX are great drives but they should be hooked to a Sata 3 to exploit them. Of course they are backwards compatible but if all you have is Sata 2 you could consider the EARS drive which is the same drive with a Sata 2 controller.