RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Whs Inside Vm On Server 2008R2 Build Questions

hevnbnd

Ok, about to undertake a new build. Needing a pc to operate as a Media Center PC, Desktop, & WHS 2011 PC. So I have decided to use Window Server 2008 R2 has my host operating system and run WHS 2011 in a VM and run XBMC on the server. If I get really crazy I may try using Remote Fx and eliminating my other two high power pc's with little guys....

My system comprises of the following.

i7 2600k

8GB DDR3

6- 2TB Samsung drives in RAID 5

1- 120GB REVODrive SSD for OS

I plan on using the onboard video that intel provides HD3000 for my video to my projector via HDMI.

My main concern is backing up the SSD drive. How do I easily get back up and running when it crashes? Before I always ran a mirror array for my os, but don't have enough space on my board for this.

Anyone got any tips on this setup?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• timekills

• hevnbnd

2008R2 can do it's own backup to an external drive. But you have some other considerations as well. What drive will hold the virtual OS's? Are you planning on the host and virtual all on the SSD? And are you putting VHDs on the raid volume for WHS or will you pass the whole array through to WHS (recommended.) I ask because if you do not pass the array through, and build multiple VHDs on it for WHS then you could backup the SSD (host and virtual OS drives too if you want) to the array. I don't recommend that because you need to have some way to *read* the array to restore your system; it is possible but more complicated. Best option is to pass the whole array through to WHS and use an external drive as the 2008R2 backup. You can also export the virtual OS to that external drive, or have it done as part of the server backup so if you have to restore it will restore Server 2008R2 (with XBMC) as well as the virtual WHS. I keep mine separate, but that requires manual backing up (exporting) of the WHS system.

Be aware that if you want to port the array through to WHS, you build the array in 2008R2, then go to disk management, take the array offline, and import it into the virtual OS (WHS). So you will not have direct access to the array via Server 2008R2; only through WHS. If you take WHS offline, you can bring the array back online in the host and get direct access though.

You can use the built in Windows Backup Server mmc. Here's a overview video

I am running the Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (the bare no gui one) and use the command line wbadmin to perform nightly backups. I have task scheduler kick off a powershell script that calls the wbadmin start backup and emails me if there's any errors.

2008R2 can do it's own backup to an external drive. But you have some other considerations as well. What drive will hold the virtual OS's? Are you planning on the host and virtual all on the SSD? And are you putting VHDs on the raid volume for WHS or will you pass the whole array through to WHS (recommended.) I ask because if you do not pass the array through, and build multiple VHDs on it for WHS then you could backup the SSD (host and virtual OS drives too if you want) to the array. I don't recommend that because you need to have some way to *read* the array to restore your system; it is possible but more complicated. Best option is to pass the whole array through to WHS and use an external drive as the 2008R2 backup. You can also export the virtual OS to that external drive, or have it done as part of the server backup so if you have to restore it will restore Server 2008R2 (with XBMC) as well as the virtual WHS. I keep mine separate, but that requires manual backing up (exporting) of the WHS system.

Be aware that if you want to port the array through to WHS, you build the array in 2008R2, then go to disk management, take the array offline, and import it into the virtual OS (WHS). So you will not have direct access to the array via Server 2008R2; only through WHS. If you take WHS offline, you can bring the array back online in the host and get direct access though.

Well my plan was to have have Server 08 on the SSD and the WHS virtual on the Raid 5 array. Kind of lost me on the 2nd paragraph. I am thinking of backing up the SSD & my VHDs on an external usb3 drive.

Well my plan was to have have Server 08 on the SSD and the WHS virtual on the Raid 5 array. Kind of lost me on the 2nd paragraph. I am thinking of backing up the SSD & my VHDs on an external usb3 drive.

Your WHS virtual OS will be on the RAID array, as well as the data? So you are going to make virtual hard drives on the array, and use one for WHS and the other(s) for data drives? That will be much slower than putting the WHS OS on a VHD on the SSD, and passing the RAID array through to WHS.

Thanks, I will post back as soon as my revo card gets in. My board only has 6 sata ports and one esata port. So my choice was either a pcie sata controller card or a pcie revo card to run the os if I wanted to use my 6 2tb drives for whs. :)

That's what she said.

Ummm, usually when you are going this route with another guy, not yourself, it would be, "That's not what she said.". :)

I don't really want to know the answer, but are you closer to the situation than we know. ;)

What's up with only two emoticon's?