RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Zaico

Remote Web Access not working?

Zaico

Hello

i have an Zotac Zbox SD-ID12 running WHS2011 nicly

but when i trie to set up remote web access it gives me som errors.

my router is an Thomson TG712 and i have a airport extreme set up as access point only.

the router is handeling DHCP and it is serving internet for pc's and IPTV and VOIP services on 3 different WAN ip addresses.

the problem is that WHS2011 thinks my internet WAN is 10.234.100.2xx with is infact my VOIP WAN address. My Internet WAN IP address is 62.199.36.4XX

i have turnd off UPnP and set up port forwording my selfe. opening port 80 and 443 to the servers LAN IP address.

but it dos not work....

??????

ikon

OK, I'm kinda wondering how you have a 10.x.x.x IP as a WAN address. That subnet is non-routable on the internet: i.e. it's designated as a Private Range. And, I'm sure it's just a typo, but it is kinda funny to see 36.4xx instead of just 36.4x. It would be damn clever to have a .400 octet in an IP address :)

dvn

I think your ISP is subnetting 10 dot addresses to its customers. That Internet WAN address of 62.199.36.4XX is probably the ISP's external-facing IP. I believe one reason ISPs use 10 dot is because they don't have a large enough block of public IP's to give out to all their customers.

ikon

I think your ISP is subnetting 10 dot addresses to its customers. That Internet WAN address of 62.199.36.4XX is probably the ISP's external-facing IP. I believe one reason ISPs use 10 dot is because they don't have a large enough block of public IP's to give out to all their customers.

/me facepalms. Sheesh, never even thought of that, but it makes total sense. This would prevent him from being able to access remotely, no?

dvn

I believe so. And that is probably another reason ISPs 10 dot - to prevent server traffic on alternate ports.

timekills

The question is why is his WHS seeing the private IP space (I don't buy it); I understand using that for VoIP, as it can get the IP from the CCM (or whatever call manager suite they're using) but you're telling me he is going through a NAT at the ISP for his regular internet?!? Unlikely. Even for Dutch DSL. I think he's just getting a standard NAT'd IP from his router, like most folks do. I don't think his external IP is 10. anything.

So...

Zaico: Just to make sure, go to whatismyip.com and see what your WHS tells you. I'll be surprised if it doesn't list your WAN (addressable) IP. Of course the IP your WHS has is a NAT (i.e. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) IP since your router takes the actual IP and has to assign non-addressable IPs to all the other devices in your house. You only get one "real" IP per account. That's the way it works for most of us. If I check my WHS's IP it will be 192.168.1.X regardless of what my "real" IP to the outside world is.

1) You say you have three different WAN addresses. I assume you mean three separate non-addressable IPs for VoIP devices; i.e. 10.x.x.x IPs. None of those are WAN IPs. They are (as ikon stated), by definition, a LAN since they are non-routable. But we're not here for lessons. My question is what is assigning those IPs. Presumably they are static - assigned by your ISP. So whatever device you have the VoIP devices hooked up through is not assigning them, simply passing them through, probably by MAC assignment. Otherwise they're assigned by the router.

2) The router you are using - an ISP provided router, presumably? That is a DSL/VoIP gateway, and let me guess - you are Dutch? Just checking. :)

Seriously, that router has a green VoIP port and yellow LAN ports, correct? Is your phone plugged into the green or yellow ports? Have you assigned phone numbers to all the ports (per the manual you can choose which ports to assign telephone numbers to...). There is also a firewall, but that shouldn't affect the IP your system is receiving.

3) If there is a port that is not assigned to VoIP, you could run an Ethernet patch to a switch from that port, and connect your PCs to that switch.

Bottom line - I think your port forwarding is not set up correctly. Go to the game manager in the router and recheck.

Edited by timekills

dvn

Well, I've seen 10 dot assignment by an ISP. And yes, it is non-routable, so 'WhatsMyIP' will show whatever public-facing IP they are using. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

ikon

Unlikely. Even for Dutch DSL.

I have no personal experience with this, thank God, but I gather more and more ISP's are doing this, both to save them money on routable IP4 addresses, and to control what the customers can do. "Oh, you want to host a web server sir; you'll have to upgrade to one of our business class packages, or you can use one of our servers, starting at only $8.95 a month.". I wonder if this is a common practice in Denmark?

If it were me, I would consider changing ISP, if indeed they are doing NAT to their customers.

dvn

The 10 dot instance I remember involved a small business located in a sparsely populated area of Maine, and I believe they were using a small local ISP.

dvn

I've never heard of the type of router that Zaico is using, but after reading about it, it is pretty cool. Could it be that his router is able to see the real IP when it's doing VoIP and not able to see anything but 10 dot when doing anything else? Please excuse me if that is way off base. I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. :)