RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup OS/CCB to 160gb drive, data backup to a 2tb drive.

jeffla

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Command line? What. ;)

Use AllwaySync or Sugarsync so it can use a GUI and not require command lines.

I like that Robocopy is run from the command promt, but how are you setting it up to run? Are you manually logging into the server and typing robocopy f:\ e:\ /mir? Also from what I gather, my OS/CCB backup drive must be at least equal to or bigger than the OS/CCB combined. So my idea of using an old 160gb drive is out. Looks like I'm gonna need to pick up another 500gb drive so it can be my dedicated OS/CCB drive.

I see that my Windows 7 laptop has robocopy installed so I can do some testing on it.

For nearline backup I use an external 4-bay MediaSonic ProBox over eSATA, I have a Scheduled Task set to run a CMD file that has a bunch of RoboCopy commands in it. They copy individual folders to the ProBox and create a log file that I can review later.

For offsite backup I use an external ThermalTake dual-bay drive dock 'toaster' over eSATA. I have a shortcut on my WHSv1 desktop that runs very similar CMD files to RoboCopy the data to the offsite drives in the toaster. I run this task manually by RDPing into my server.

Here's 1 line from the offsite batch file:

Robocopy "\\WHSv1\AUDIO" "E:\shares\AUDIO" *.* /s /r:3 /w:5 /mir /tee /np /log:"\\WHSv1\BACKUP\LOGS\BackupAudioToOffsite.log"

There are a number of similar lines for the other folders.

Here are some lines that allow me to back up the client PC backups:

REM Stop the Drive Letter Service

NET STOP PDL

REM Stop the Backup Service

NET STOP WHSBackup

Robocopy "D:\folders" "G:\folders" /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5 /TEE /LOG:\\WHSv1\BACKUP\LOGS\BackupBackupsToOffsite.log

REM Start the Backup Service

NET START WHSBackup

REM Start the Drive Letter Service

NET START PDL

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on my dos skills. It has been a very long time since I did much from the command prompt.

But that probably will be a good thing. I think I'm going to switch majors from nursing to network administration. The nursing field is too damn competitive. Last semester, 800 people applied for 80 nursing slots. 400 of those 800 had perfect 4.0's. With my less than stellar GPA from a failed college attempt in my late teens, I will never achieve a 4.0 :( But on the bright side, someday I will have a clue what most of you are talking about on these forums.

Network Administration and Information Assurance are good fields if you want to pursue an IT career.

One trick for the lack of multiple backups schemes is to mirror the OS install in a RAID 1 array <<<and yes I know RAID is not a substitute for backups>>> but when combined with Sahwdow Copies, its pretty darn effective.

The RoboCopy solution would also be a good soltuion for the data.

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on my dos skills. It has been a very long time since I did much from the command prompt.

But that probably will be a good thing. I think I'm going to switch majors from nursing to network administration. The nursing field is too damn competitive. Last semester, 800 people applied for 80 nursing slots. 400 of those 800 had perfect 4.0's. With my less than stellar GPA from a failed college attempt in my late teens, I will never achieve a 4.0 :( But on the bright side, someday I will have a clue what most of you are talking about on these forums.

Another very hot IT field is security; almost any IT security field is looking for people these days.