RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup OS/CCB to 160gb drive, data backup to a 2tb drive.

jeffla

I know I'm full of questions lately and I do apologize. My WHS 2011 server and I have not been getting along lately. Here is what I am currently doing.

Server Backup set to run 2x daily and backups up the system (c:) and my shared folders (f:). What it does not backup is my CCB (d:).

I have 3 drives in my 2011 machine: 1 500gb drive with 2 partitions (1-60gb c: for the os) & (1-400gb d: for the CCB). I also have 1 2tb f: drive that is used for storing all my shared folders. Lastly, I have a 2nd 2tb drive (data backup) that is used as my Server Backup drive. Which backs up everything but the CCB.

Here is what I would like to do in light of all the server restores I've done in the last 48 hours. I would like to add a 4th drive to the system and make it a dedicated OS/CCB drive. Leaving my 2tb (data backup) drive as just that, a drive that only backs up my 2tb (F:) data drive.

What I can't figure out for the life of me, is how I set this up. It appears that I am only able to setup 1 server backup routine not 2 like I want. But I kinda remember from a past podcast someone talking about setting up 2 server backup routines. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can do two server backups, just not two with different targets and sources. In short, you have to run the same backup regiment unless you have some third party solution. Realistically, one backup of the OS should suffice provided you have enough Shadow Copies to cover you.

I think I understand. My goal was to separate the os backup from my shared folders backup. Basically have the os backup to one drive and my shared folders to a different drive. There probably is no good reason to do so, but i'd feel better knowing my os backup is on a different drive from my shared folder backup drive.

I think your saying it is not possible with the built in dashboard utility. Correct me please if I am wrong.

I've been looking into SyncToy this morning. Looks like I should be able to let that make a copy of my shared folders on 1 drive and then let Server Backup handle the OS & CCB onto a 2nd drive.

I've been reading the whs 2011 Unleashed manual and think I could also setup my shared drives into a RAID mirror through the built in windows disk management window. I'm not too concerned with the performance drain I've read software RAIDs can produce, but more concerned with not being able to take the drive out and read it on a different computer without recreating the array.

What I don't like now is that the server backup creates incremental backups. I guess I assumed the server backup was simply making a new copy of all my data every time it ran. Not creating a whole image copy, then creating incremental updates 2 times a day. For me, 1 backup copy of the OS and 1 backup copy of my data is good enough. I was fine with how DE simply just made a copy and assumed the server backup functionality in 2011 basically did the same thing only this time it included the OS/CCB.

I see no need for my OS to have 20+ restore points taking up space on my 2tb drive with no easy home user in mind way of getting rid of them. I might just do a one time backup of the OS on a removable 160gb HD and then repeat maybe once a month or so. Then use synctoy (robocopy if I can understand it) or windows RAID to duplicate my data drive. I also don't need 20+ copies of my shared folders taking up space for no reason. My goal with WHS staring with my V1 machine was simply to have my data on 2 drives at all times. It seems 2011 is clearly meant for the corporate world where their data is far more important than my 384gb's of stuff. I currently have Gladinet send my photos and documents to my skydrive account. Maybe I will sign up for Carbonite of something and have all my data backed up to the cloud.

As of now 2011 is just overkill for my simply home needs. V1 got that idea, V2 seems like a better product for a small business.

I might just do a one time backup of the OS on a removable 160gb HD and then repeat maybe once a month or so. Then use synctoy (robocopy if I can understand it) or windows RAID to duplicate my data drive.

I, and a number of other members, can help you with RoboCopy, should you need or want any. I use it every day.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I will be using the Windows Backup to do the OS, and Robocopy to do the data. That should work, right?

Yes that will work.

I like that Robocopy is run from the command promt, but how are you setting it up to run? Are you manually logging into the server and typing robocopy f:\ e:\ /mir? Also from what I gather, my OS/CCB backup drive must be at least equal to or bigger than the OS/CCB combined. So my idea of using an old 160gb drive is out. Looks like I'm gonna need to pick up another 500gb drive so it can be my dedicated OS/CCB drive.

I see that my Windows 7 laptop has robocopy installed so I can do some testing on it.