RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Answer this post

awraynor

Not worth the effort and cost in energy consumption, in my opinion. There was a reason the company got rid of it.

I agree with jmwills. I had one from work as well and after researching what I needed to make it run it wasn't worth it.

It's great to be able to tinker with these at work, which we do but I would NEVER bring home an enterprise class server. About the only way you could justify it would be if you were going to remove all your other hardware and go virtual using this slightly used box.

Not trying to throw water on your parade, just my thoughts.

We cycle through servers every 5 years, so next year we would be getting actually some decent servers moved offline including an external 12 bay attached SAS carridge but honestly to much noise for the average house. Any server prior to those I would not want as large SCSI drives are not worth the cost. unfortunely we will be moving the servers we take off line into a second data center in a Indy facility in case of a DR in dallas.

My 2 cents buy your own Dell 110 or build your own sever and attach your own storage aka drobo if needed.