RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To Upgrade whs 2011 from AMD 5050e or Not

Ozpol

Hi Guys,

Have been a relatively long time listener of BYOB and The Home server Show but never really posted, so hello to everybody. Have also posted this in the whs build, but this is probably the better place for this post and questions.

I have been playing with servers in my house for a while now and currently have a whs 2011 using a gigabyte 785G board with an AMD 5050e processor and 6Gb of RAM. have had this setup for about 3 years.

I have about 13Terabytes of disk space (7 HDDs) and am using VMWare for a virtual machine for downloading and testing. The server is used for backing up various computers in the house as well as install programs. The backups are done using allways synch when a client computer is started and stopped. However, the majority of space is consumed with DVD and Bluray rips.

I stream the movies to a HTPC (core i3) and use TMT 5 for bluray playback and MCE for DVD playback.

Generally no problems with the server and it runs very well and is very stable but also slow.

During Bluray playback I sometimes get a bit of stuttering but generally when playing it is OK. However, if I rewind the movie during playback, a lot of times the sound is out of synch with the video and takes some time for one to catch up with the other. Could this be a possible problem with the server???

Power is getting to be expensive here in Australia so energy efficiency is also something that I take into consideration.

Budget is a bit of a problem, but could get some funds from the minister of finance I am sure :-).

The setup that I am thinking of is a core i3 2100 running on a H67MA Gigabyte M/B. Same as PC Doc (I think). The upgrade would not be too expensive a I have everything apart from the Motherboard, processor and RAM.

Guys, now for the questions:

1. Would I see a big performance gain with the core i3 setup?

2. Is the AMD 5050e setup enough to run a whs2011 successfully with streaming/serving to a HTPC?

3. Would the core i3 be any more or less energy efficient than the 5050e?

4. The Gigabyte board has a Realtek NIC for network comms. I purchased a separate Intel NIC card for the current build. Would I have to do the same for the new proposed build or could I use the existing onboard Realtek network connection (I am using lights out addin)

Many thanks for the hopeful replies.

Cheers

Krys S

Guest no-control

Guys, now for the questions:

1. Would I see a big performance gain with the core i3 setup?

2. Is the AMD 5050e setup enough to run a whs2011 successfully with streaming/serving to a HTPC?

3. Would the core i3 be any more or less energy efficient than the 5050e?

4. The Gigabyte board has a Realtek NIC for network comms. I purchased a separate Intel NIC card for the current build. Would I have to do the same for the new proposed build or could I use the existing onboard Realtek network connection (I am using lights out addin)

Many thanks for the hopeful replies.

Cheers

Krys S

Stuttering sounds like a network issue. Might want to look into it.

To answer your questions:

1. I have an AMD 5050e and yes the i3 will be a LOT faster.

2. Technically yes, but you'll need to manage you backup times vs usual HTPC usage.

3. All things being equal my i3-530/H55 is about 10 watts less than my 5050e/8200 setup

4. Almost all of my builds use a Realtek onboard including my HTPCs & Servers.

Not sure you'll gain much power efficiency to offset the upgrade costs. But you definitely will have a faster server than cam multi-task without much issues. honestly your current has enough to run WHS2011 with out issue especially with all the RAM you have. If you're looking to reduce consumption I would look into replacing the HDDs with either low power (green) drives or larger capacity (if possible) to reduce the physical #. Might be a better way to offset the cost. that an use addins like lights out or just use the BIOS and Server settings to sleep and wake the server at specified times.

Hi no-control,

Many thanks for your answers.

Over the last 2 days, I think that I have convinced myself to build a new i3 server. Am currently building an i3 desktop for a friend so may delay giving him the finished PC for a few days and see how whs 2011 will run.

Cheers

krys S