RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please help before another virgin gets needlessly sacrificed. (connector help)

jeffla

So today I did something out of character for me. As a huge slickdeals.com / fatwallet.com forum troll, I had been watching a deal microcenter was offering where you could get an AMD Phenom II x4 840 cpu + a Biostar A780L3G motherboard for $48.00 + tax. With nothing on my to do list for the day, WHS 2011 running without issues for a few weeks I got in the car and drove 5 mins to microcenter. 30mins later I left with the AMD 840 cpu, Biostar motherboard, 4gb ram, wifi card, dvd-rw drive and a sata cable for 133.00. Keep in mind I DO NOT BUILD PC's. I gave up building pcs years ago after countless failed attempts. It's out of character for me to buy anything without extensive research. But today is an exception. I hooked everything up and within 30mins Windows 7 64 HP was installing. This new build replaces our OLD AMD Athlon 64 pc we use for just syncing our iphones with itunes and the printer is connected to it. It was so old and slow it drove me nuts but since we only use it maybe once a month, I couldn't justify buying a new 400+ pc to replace it. So this 133.00 dollar deal worked out great. Anyways, 5 hours later when W7 was finally done installing 1million updates, I proceeded to install the WHS 2011 connector. 6 hours later I have read every forum post I can find about 2011 connector issues. I've:

disabled ipv6

enabled/started media center receiver / scheduler services

used findmyserver.cab

uninstalled/reinstalled/let connector install it .net 4

rebooted countless times

talked dirty to it

sacrificed 3 chickens, 1 pig and a neighborhood virgin (poor girl)

The connector finds the server, asks for the password, gets to my guess 90-95% complete then backs up the progress and gives an unknown error. I searched the log files (clientdeploy.log) and came across a line that refers "end of clientdeploy: errorcode=1603"

Google revealed that 1603 has to do with .net 4 framework but I don't know what to do anymore. I'm going to bed now, in the morning maybe I'll have enough energy to run down another virgin. They run too damn fast and I'm getting too old and fat.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Edited by jeffla

Well, I had an idea.  I had already disabled my NIS 2011 firewall/antivirus, but decided to allow an exception to the windows 7 firewall for the connector and dashboard.  I also rebooted into safemode and deleted everything I could find related to Windows Server.  Rebooted back to normal mode and it finally installed.  

Now it's time to install Home Server Status, well I guess that can wait until morning.  I can sleep now soundly knowing the pc is backing up and that all the issues have been worked out. I'm so proud of myself for building a PC that actually works, no BSOD, no sudden reboots, no lockups, it actually works. Now if I could figure out why my legal copy (purchased from MS itself) of Office 2010 says the key is invalid. Hmm, it's not invalid, I own a 3 computer liscence I bought with my student discount and only have it on 2 computers at the moment.  

Jeff

Edited by jeffla