RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Ver 1 updates installation cannot complete

walterwood44

My home-built WHS Ver.1 has been working fine. All workstations are being backed up and I can access all files on the server. What I just realized is that MS Updates are not being applied and have not since April. The error I get is that ""windows home server updates installation cannot complete."

Note that updating never starts and fails before even checking for updates.

I have done the following without change.

• Mulitple reboots
  • Performed a HD check
  • Moved to a different connection (Ethernet cable and ports)
  • Reboot router and switch
  • Updated router firmware
  • Performed a repair on the network connection
  • Reset Security options in IE to default
  • Tried to connect to MS sites using IE without luck

All other computers on my home network do not have a problem connecting to the Internet and have received MS Updates. Beng a home-built I have a mouse, keyboard and monitor connected so I have to additional options to work with other than headless or remote access to work with.

Using IE I can connect to my router config page and even check the D-Link site for updates from there. There is some connectivity but I can not connect to any sites by typing a URL in the browser (for sites allowed in Security.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this.

Walter

Type this from a Command Prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns then see if you can connect

Can you ping external sites by their IP? Try pinging 8.8.8.8 which is a Google DNS Server.

I flushed the DNS and was able to ping 8.8.8.8 using a command prompt but still cannot connect to MS Update.

Which version of IE are you using? Can you looking back in the Event Viewer that far to spot a problem? At this point I don't think it is a network issue but maybe a failed update blocking other access.

Have you checked to see if the associated service is running?

I am using IE8. I did check the log. This is a fairly recent install, last April. There were some updates applied and about the time I added a wireless printer it appears that things went haywire. The printer is working now but it did cause an IP conflict for an hour or two. It was right after that that the first updated failed.

I have uploaded the event log to my public Dropbox folder: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16493603/SystemEventLog.txt if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I am stumped at this point.

Thanks,

Walter

First thing I see is a post where someone set a static IP, but not a DNS server address. Does that apply?

That was it. Not sure how that got changed but I set the DNS to use the same as the router and updates are now running. :D

Or, just set a DHCP reservation in the router for the server and do not a static IP on the server.

I'm not a fan of DHCP reservations but they do work. For me, I give all machines static IP addresses. Because I do that I don't forget the little details and almost always identify DNS and other issues very quickly. Works for me; your mileage may vary. :)