RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Shoop

Need more than 2TB.

Shoop

I just started messing with WHS about 2 weeks ago so I am new to all this. I need a solution to the 2TB limit. I installed a 2TB hard drive in my WHS 2011. I then moved the "Videos" folder to it because I knew that I would need more than 500GB (OS drive) for my movie collection. Now I have filled up the 2TB hard drive and need a way to add more space for my "Videos" folder. I know that drive extender was left out of WHS 2011. What is the easiest way to increase the size of my video folder beyond 2TB if i have another hard drive to add?

Edited by Shoop

jmwills

Internal or external, you're going to be looking at a RAID solution. There has been a discussion about the new Lian-Li EX 503B which seems to be a more addfordable solution than Drobo if you can live without a network port.

The only other solution is managing individual drives for individual folders which to me seems to more work than its worth.

Just my opinion.

timekills

I agree with jmwills regarding RAID, although I'll assume for the moment you don't want to take that path. You can add another drive, and then add it to your Videos library in Windows 7. It becomes even more transparent if you use WMC addins such as My Movies because they will search across all drives you specify and list all the available videos regardless of on which drive they are stored. The problem here, potentially, would be in the media sharing and/or transcoding capabilities of WHS 2011. As I have a rather large video share, I'm not certain if you can add multiple drives/folders to the specified Video share (or Music, for that matter.)

pcdoc

I just started messing with WHS about 2 weeks ago so I am new to all this. I need a solution to the 2TB limit. I installed a 2TB hard drive in my WHS 2011. I then moved the "Videos" folder to it because I knew that I would need more than 500GB (OS drive) for my movie collection. Now I have filled up the 2TB hard drive and need a way to add more space for my "Videos" folder. I know that drive extender was left out of WHS 2011. What is the easiest way to increase the size of my video folder beyond 2TB if i have another hard drive to add?

As others have stated, you have a couple of options to choose from. It would help if we knew a bit about your system as we might make a recommendation if you want to solve the issue via hardware. If you are dealing with just a couple of drives then use the method described by timekills. If your needs grow beyond a couple of drives, you will want an external raid box such as the drobo, Ex-503, etc, or you will want to add an internal raid controller to expand you space. The answer really depends on your setup especially the size of your case and how many drives it can hold.

Shoop

Sorry about the lack of info on my system.

My server:

Core I3 2100T

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

8Gb ram

Intel Gigabit nic

C-D: WD 500GB OS drive

E: Samsung 2TB- (Docs, Pictures, Videos)

F: Samsung 2TB- Blu Ray rips

G: Samsung 2TB- getting ready to add for blu ray rips

H: Samsung 1TB- Misc files

LG 12x Blu ray burner

Coolermaster case that houses 6 drives

Currently use the "MY MOVIES" add in to rip blu ray movies to my hard drive.

I had all my blu ray rips in the "Videos" folder and have since created a "Movies" folder on drive F: solely for my Blu ray rips. I moved the "Videos folder back to my E: drive.

If I understand correctly I can have one folder on my F: drive called "Movies". Fill it up with blu ray rips. Add the second drive G: and put a folder on it called "Movies 1" and fill it up with blur ray rips. Programs such as Windows media center and media portal will see the movies even though they reside in separate folders and I can stream them as if they were in the same folder. Is this correct?

As for My Movies will this work? I know i can go into the add in and specify a different destination folder but does anyone know if the My Movies Collection Management will be able to effectively handle two separate databases or folders?

Thanks again

Edited by Shoop

pcdoc

Well you certainly have a decent system but the case is almost full. One suggestion since you have a USB controller is the LIan-Li EX=503 that I did a post on. You can throw in some drives and use that as expansion. Very fast, quiet, but not really expandible. Check out the review.

http://homeservershow.com/lian-li-ex-503b.html

timekills

Yes, My Movies (MM) will read from both drives (or separate folders on the same drive - basically any locations you add to it) and show all the movies as if they were all in the same folder. You have to include all the locations in it's library, or in the Videos library on Win7 if you have it automatically use the Win 7 libraries (as is the default setting for My Movies.)

I do not have it automatically add the WMC media locations because I add home movies to WMC but don't want MM to try and add them to the database. So I specify which folders for it to catalogue and show using the settings in Collection Management.

Shoop

Thanks everyone. i will probably look and the lian li in the future. Looks like a nice alternative.

timekills- I use the MM Collection Management on the client side as well. I'm assuming that WMC adds new movies to the movie folder based on what it reads from the Collection Management program. Is this correct? Also, I noticed the same problem with the collection management adding home movies from my videos folder on the server. Is there a tutorial on how to specify the folders that the collection management should catalogue?

Thanks again!

timekills

The MM portion of WMC will add movies based on what is in Collection Management. The native WMC Videos and/or Movies sections add their collection based on the folders you've added to the Media Library (libraries...) through Settings. If all you are concerned with is the MM tab part of WMC you'll be fine with whatever folders you have MM monitoring (via Collection Management.)

ikon

The MM portion of WMC will add movies based on what is in Collection Management. The native WMC Videos and/or Movies sections add their collection based on the folders you've added to the Media Library (libraries...) through Settings. If all you are concerned with is the MM tab part of WMC you'll be fine with whatever folders you have MM monitoring (via Collection Management.)

Thanks for twigging my memory; I need to remove all the folders I added to the WMC Libraries. No point in having them both monitor the same folders :)