RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Icy Dock USB 3.0 2.5/3.5 SATA & IDE Hard Drive Docking Station

Joe_Miner

I had recently gotten one of these from NewEgg and I really like it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198048&Tpk=mb981u3-1sa

The USB 3.0 is FAST and it works with an extra WD15EADS I had out. I also tried it with a old Segate 80GB IDE drive with no problems.

I didn't have any spare 2.5's so I could try that but I don't see why it shouldn't. Later I plan to run a WD20EADS in it and see what happens but I'm not expecting any problems with it.

What had really gotten my attention with this thing was the ability to plug old IDE's in and get to data that may still be useful -- after seeing all the Icy Dock hardware at the meet last June I was impressed by the quality of their construction so decided to give the USB 3.0 Docking Station a try.

This gave me the opportunity to do ATTO on the old 80GB IDE -- the results were pretty dismal and ran less than half of my new SATA II's.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Loxodrome
      By Loxodrome
      Well, it was time to say goodbye to my Dell Inspiron mini 1012.  Over the years, I had upgraded the
      RAM from 1 GB to 2GB, Swapped out the spinning disk drive for solid state, and migrated the operating system from Windows 7 Starter, to Windows 7, Windows 8, and now to 8.1 beta.

I had used the mini for a travel computer, to take to the coffee shop, and use in the kitchen (yes, I am that guy who uses a computer in the kitchen).  For home use, I also have a Desktop Tower running Windows 8, 8 GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, dual monitors, etc…

So, I bought a Surface Pro 128 GB with type cover.  And I Love it!

It has lightning fast start up, quick response, runs all the spreadsheets documents and presentations that I throw at it, and I even have Photoshop and Lightroom running on the Pro.  But I miss my dual monitors.

I started looking for a solution, and found the Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station (from
      amazon).  It connects via the USB port on the Surface Pro, supports dual monitors, Audio in and out, USB3.0 (x2), USB2.0 (x4), and Gigabit Ethernet.  So I ordered one, hoping that it would allow my Pro to push the video to my dual monitors.

And…  It works better than I could have expected.

I have the Surface Pro on my desk, with no cover. I hook up the Targus docking stating via the USB port, and plug in the power.  My dual monitors, Keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, desktop speakers, and yes, my Zune HD are all connected to the docking station.  I get my full keyboard and mouse, dual monitors, stunning sound quality, touch, swipe and gestures on the Pro screen.  And plenty of screen
      real estate to run my applications.

The only tricky part of the setup is balancing the dpi settings between the Surface Pro screen, and the monitors.  The Pro screen is 1600x900 in a 10 inch diagonal screen, and the monitors are 1680x1050 in a 20 inch diagonal screen.  To find this setting, search for “dpi” from the Metro screen, the select the “Make test and other items larger or smaller” setting.

The Surface Pro is normally set to Larger - 150%.  But for this setup, I changed the setting to
      Smaller -100%. 

With this setting, the icons, menus, and ribbons on the dual monitors are normal size.  The text
      on the Pro screen is a bit small, but still functional.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with this set up.  In fact, it works so well, that I tore out the desktop tower, and moved it to the kids playroom for their homework, and gaming computer. 

I can’t wait to get 8.1 on here so I can take advantage of the new features.

• logan1323
      By logan1323
      We have several Surface Pro 2's deployed at my company that all use docking stations. Every so often, and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it, the external monitors hooked up to the dock will lose all display capabilities.

I've tried restarting the surface, checking the monitor connections, and running windows updates and made sure all drivers were up to date and current. (Example of one that happened the other day was that one monitor still worked but the other would not. I would go into the Screen Resolution dialogue box and try turning the screen back on but after applying the settings the screen would automatically turn back off. )

The only thing I found to fix the problem is undocking the Surface, unplugging power from the dock, plug the power back in and then re-dock the device. After following these steps the monitors will work fine again.

Like I said, this is an intermittent issue and is hard to replicate but was wondering if this was a known problem or if there is any known fix for it out there??

Thanks in advance for the help.
    • Daigen
      By Daigen
      I've been having some wierd hardware failures on my Surface Pro 3
      1. Type Cover no longer works. None of the keys respond nor does the touch pad. I reversed the cover (so the keys were touching the back of the surface) and I think that's when this started. I tried another Type Cover and that didn't work either.
      2. External display no longer works while docked in Surface dock.
      3. The CAPS LOCK on the virtual keyboard with stay on sometimes. So I need to hit the shift key every time I want to type a lower case letter. This seems to be random and isolated to IE.
      4. Plugged in a pair of headphones and the audio driver failed and I could get sound restored. Only way to fix was to refresh Windows 10. Super random and bizarre. But only happened once so far.
      5. Screen rotation no longer works. I can set the screen orientation to portrait in the display settings and lock the rotation, but upon logging back in after sleep it reverts back to landscape.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 a few times as an upgrade from the factory installed windows 8. I've also done a couple of refreshes without keeping personal files and settings.

This all just happened suddenly without me installing any new software or any other hardware incidents (dropping, water damage, etc.). I do have Windows Update set to auto, but if it was a bad update the previous attempts at the Windows 10 reinstall and refresh should have proved that out.

So any ideas?

I bought this SP3 at release so I think I'm just past the 1 year warranty.

It seems like a mix of hardware and OS level failures but maybe its mostly hardware?
      Has there been any announcements for trading up a SP3 to an SP4?

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks!