RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 on Win7 Virtual Machine

Joe_Miner

I'm sure many have done this in the past but I was looking at my X58 with my virtual XP-pro running and thought maybe I would try loading WHS-V1 into it's own virtual machine in my X58.

It's working!

Currently trying to figure a lot out -- I have a OEM w/PP3 version of WHS-V1 but I was afraid to burn it up if this didn't work [and I still have a lot of experimenting to do anyway] so I loaded my technet version which is PP1 -- so it may take a very long time to update itself.

Q1 -- is there a way to switch my clients between different V1 servers? My production server is HPServer [OK not a lot of originality on my part] and my vurtual V1 is Server-HAL [OK -- still not too original either]

other things i want to learn is how I can expand my virtual hard drive -- right now i only have 128G so there's not much I can do except play a little.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated :)

Should be easily enough done to switch between servers albeit a PITA to do it back and forth all the time. Remove the connector software and certificates generated by Server A (PP3) and reboot. Then just connect to Server B (PP1). That should do it. You would have to do this everytime you switch back and forth.

There is an option when you create the Virtual Hard Drive to let it expand as needed (I think it is called Allocate All Disk Space now) or you could run it from a portable drive.

Should be easily enough done to switch between servers albeit a PITA to do it back and forth all the time. Remove the connector software and certificates generated by Server A (PP3) and reboot. Then just connect to Server B (PP1). That should do it. You would have to do this everytime you switch back and forth.

There is an option when you create the Virtual Hard Drive to let it expand as needed (I think it is called Allocate All Disk Space now) or you could run it from a portable drive.

does he really need to remove certs if he's using WHSv1? i think I've switched in the past by just removing the connector and installing from the other server.

Edited by ikon

I was kind of hoping there was a simple script I could use to switch from one to another.

I can see and use the folders from my other computers. It took 137 updates! I think my biggest hurdle is going to be expanding the HD or adding HD's.