RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LSI 9260-4i Ups and Downs

Greg Welch

I'm with you re: the HighPoint. Nothing against them, but they're what I call Host Bus Adapters rather than full RAID cards. For me, a true RAID card has to do all the processing on board, and have it's own memory for all data transactions. LSI is, AFAIK, still a good brand of these.

Oh the one BIG set back to the LSI card (and this mght be for all Processor on board cards) is the my POST times are very long now, it add at least 20 to 30 seconds to startup.

Cooper

Oh the one BIG set back to the LSI card (and this mght be for all Processor on board cards) is the my POST times are very long now, it add at least 20 to 30 seconds to startup.

Cooper

True, depending on the make/model of card the start times will increase by xx seconds, but unavoidable since they do have to load their own 'OS' as it were. Still, the benefit of increased performance from offloading the rest of the system makes it worth IMHO. The biggest downside I feel is the $$$. Full RAID cards ain't cheap baby! :P

You can offset that by disabling the card's ability to be bootable. You might (unfortunately) also have to set the onboard ports to RAID, even if you don't use them that way, but the onboard RAID BIOS checks are much, much faster than the add-on card's checks. If you disable the card's ability to boot, it won't go through the check during POST.

I could tell you how to do it with a lowly HBA-type adapter like the Highpoints ;) but you're on your own with the LSI's.

You can offset that by disabling the card's ability to be bootable. You might (unfortunately) also have to set the onboard ports to RAID, even if you don't use them that way, but the onboard RAID BIOS checks are much, much faster than the add-on card's checks. If you disable the card's ability to boot, it won't go through the check during POST.

I could tell you how to do it with a lowly HBA-type adapter like the Highpoints ;) but you're on your own with the LSI's.

Would be interesting to see how much time that can shave off.

Can't do that, as I am booting from the card, the RAID Ø is my OS drive I have a 2TB WD Black for the data drive

• 4 months later...

The Dell PERC H700 controller has a feature called “Cut-through IO (CTIO)” that should supposedly increase the throughput for SSD drive arrays.

I believe the Dell is similar to the LSI. (I have a Dell 700 but no SSD)

As per the documentation it says its enabled on an LD (logical drive) by disabling read ahead and enabling write through cache (WT + NORA).

You should see a perfromance increase on a SSD drive.

here are a couple of links

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/joe_chang/archive/2010/10/11/caching-raid-controller-performance-tuning-secrets-cough-giggle.aspx

http://marcitland.blogspot.com/2011/03/accelerating-vdi-using-scst-and-ssds.html