RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 75, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi,

This week we spoke about the WGS Add-in Challenger 09 winners addin development. It's a Sharepoint install in a wrapper. I like Sharepoint, but did not expect this addin to go that way. http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/01/30/add-in-project-umbrella-home-calendar-contacts-and-tasks-aic-09/ Check out the comments on that article. What do you think ?

Dave has a Gldinet review, http://homeservershow.com/gladinet-mapping-cloud-storage-to-your-windows-explorer.html your thoughts ?

AJ did a video on Eye-Fi,

has that encouraged you to buy one ? http://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/eye-fi

Dave speaks to Tom on Virtualization part 2 hardware. Tom will be posting a article to give you a taste.

John (homeservershow).

Great show as usual. I started using Gladinet the other day and it's going very well.

Quick story behind the handle.

I created a fake mail account that I only used for signups to websites and other things that flood your inbox "ohgodpleaseno@..." (think how awesome that must be to tell a person over the phone when you need to receive an email, but don't want the spam that will follow). Having one of the most common names to come out of the 1970s, when I go to sign up for any kind of user account at any website my name is out of the question. I figured I'd try ohgodpleaseno, but someone was using it at whatever I was signing up for at the time, so I took "god" out of it (you know, don't dicsuss religion and politics in polite company, so ohbushpleaseno, ohbamapleaseno, and ohcongressistheoppositeofprogresspleaseno would have received the same treatment) and the rest is uninteresting history.

Great show, I am almost ready to start down the "virtual machine" road. Always wanted to try it and now I may have to do it.

Question for Tom about VM software. I don't see a post from to ask the qestion. I've got Windows 7 Pro x64 with the MS virtual PC software for XP Mode. Is it possible or even wise to run other VM software on the same machine? I'm sure you know how limited this stuff from MS is and I wanted to try Sun VMware. Any advice?

fasthair

Show 75

The sharepoint route is "over-kill" I don't like it... and I have nothing against SharePoint.

New Forum look: Too bright... but's its ok...I have my sun-glasses on. Wife is giving me a hassle over the bright lights.

Runing programes... I actually have published my e-mail calendar to my WHS, this way as I travel... folks(the Wife) can figure out where I am and if available. I travel a lot... so I should write up the way I got it done.

I need to get on Wuala by LaCie

I make use of virtualisation and love it... great for testing.

Great Show... Love the expertise.

Twitter will cost me 15cents for each tweet on my phone.. too expensive.

TheGuy

I took the plunge and just installed VMware Player. This is software is do much nicer then the Vitual PC from Windows. Got a VM of Vail and Win7 64 running together. Vails backing up the 7 VM via the Connetor software, homegroups is working, remote login is working. Hey this is kind of fun when you got some nice VM software! Looks like it's time to ditch VPC and uninstall it. :)

fasthair

Hello fasthair, good to see you're enjoying virtualization. Are you running VMWare player or server, just want to clarify that the Player option doesn't let you create your own VM's and you need to download or "obtain" a VM that is already made. VMWare Server does let you create your own VM's from scratch.

I agree with you, and personally use VMWare Server over Virtual PC when running a host based virtualization platform. Just an FYI, VMWare is owned by EMC, not Sun. I think you answered your own question about is it possible to run on the same machine, the only considerations are to think about how much resources you assign to the VM vs what your host OS needs to run smoothly. Let us know if you have any more questions, enjoy Vail :-)

Good to hear it's all working out well for you fasthair. Yeah, I haven't really used Player in a while, and I do think that VMWare Server has more robust hardware configuration options for the VMs. Good hardware does make all the difference for the VM experience. Let us know when you figure out the add-ins from Vail, I haven't yet either but the media streaming is pretty cool.