RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suggestion for 2TB hard drive replacement V1

jazzerjay

If you read my other post, I'm currently down one 2TB drive. I'm looking for an alternative, but don't want to pay for a used WS20EADS which is what I have in the other storage bays.

I have seen others having issues with EARS drives even after setting the jumper correctly so that option is out. What about the WD20EARX? Does that have the same issue with the advanced format that plagues the EARS? I was looking on Newegg for replacements, but being that I'm more of a WD guy, I wanted to ask you fine folks so that I'm not mixing and matching specs. Or at least I wanted to get a comparable one. 7200 RPM, 32MB cache, low power. What do the others offer?

Thanks,

Jay

Go to Hitachi or Samsung and you don't have to wory about that stuff. I haven't seen one thread on here about problems with using these drives. They are truly plug and play; unlike the WD drives.

I have never experienced problems with EARS drives because of them being jumpered. My complaint about WD Green drives in general is that I believe they develop bad sectors more often and more rapidly than enterprise class drives.

Edited by ikon

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! @pcdoc, I saw those from Amazon as well later on in the day, thanks again. I thought for sure I saw a posting about someone having issues with their EARS drives, perhaps I'm mixing posts again since I cannot find the specific one.

• 2 weeks later...

Advanced Format hard drives in WHS v1 are no longer a problem, regardless of type. I have four of them now, with a fifth on its way here from Amazon. I wrote up a process for how to properly deal with AF hard drives so that you don't get the sector mis-alignment that can lead to data loss if not dealt with.

The process provides a two-pronged approach. The original process is suitable for all drives, but is best for drives that have been in the server for awhile--and therefore are likely to have a lot of data on them. The alternative, newer, process is best suited for brand new drives being installed. This process is much faster.

Both can be found here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/02/13/forum-spotlight-how-to-safely-align-a-misaligned-partition-on-an-advanced-format-drive/

Thanks Matt for the great write-up though I think this issue is yet another reason to be thinking about upgrading to WHS 2011.

Thanks Matt for the great write-up though I think this issue is yet another reason to be thinking about upgrading to WHS 2011.

I'm not brave enough to take the plunge on this one yet. I'm cautiously optimistic about Drive Bender and/or Stable Bit Drive Pool. However, since I've written an add-in for WHS v1 (Home Server SMART), I'm reluctant to abandon WHS v1 outright. This is mainly because HSS is very dependent on the hardware SMART capabilities, something that does not exist in a virtual machine. Thus I'd never be able to reliably troubleshoot bugs if users report them.

I wish I had an old box sitting around that I could turn into a WHS v1 box and rebuild my EX490 to WHS 2011. Sure I have other gear around here, but then I'd have to sacrifice my SQL Server or my SharePoint Server. :'(