RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server case help

e_merlin

Let me preface this by saying I own (in box) a Lian Li PC-V354. I like this case because it was small and hold 6 drives. Never owned a Lian Li but always wanted to. For that matter I have never owned any of these. Fractal design cases look nice.

But after discovering the great forums here - there many seem to hate the PC-V354 case due to HD noise. I can still return this and get something different Here is what I am considering and looking for advice -

1. Lian Li PC-V354

2. SILVERSTONE Temjin Series TJ08B (just read some nice reviews and is new)

3. Fractal Design Arc Mini Black

4. Fractal Design Define Mini Black

Build - Passive ASUS E35M1-I, Seasonic X400W fanless PS, WHS2011

I am leaning toward the Define Mini as it looks like a server - dumb I know. The door may be a PITA as I will use the drive occasionally.

Thanks in advance to any/all responses.

I am in the process of building a server myself, and have talked to a lot of people on different forums about the Fractal Cases. They appear to really be well built from everything I have heard and the people I have talked to.

I'm not sure how much size is an issue but if you are really considering the Define Mini Black you might look at the Fractal Design R3 case. Its the mid-size tower version and is barely any larger, but it has 8 internal hard drive bays in it and a bit more room. This is the case I have been looking into buying for my build and its only $10.00 more for a case that holds more. Additionally the Define Mini and the R3 look identical, just one is a bit larger. And fwiw, they are both cheaper then the Lian-Li :)

Other than external design, I mainly look for cable management and hard drive installation features. The rest is just fluff unless you are creating a showpiece.

Just a couple of thoughts. First, I have a 354 and have no noise issue at all. For awhile it was my V1 server and now it serves a utility system for home automation, security, and streaming via internet. The silverstone cases are generally good but do not hold enough drives. I have not used the Fractal cases at all although I hear that they are pretty good. One other chosie is the Lian Li lancool. I have have about 5 of these cases and they are pretty good for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154

Just a couple of thoughts. First, I have a 354 and have no noise issue at all. For awhile it was my V1 server and now it serves a utility system for home automation, security, and streaming via internet. The silverstone cases are generally good but do not hold enough drives. I have not used the Fractal cases at all although I hear that they are pretty good. One other chosie is the Lian Li lancool. I have have about 5 of these cases and they are pretty good for the price.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112154

wow - great build. I am going to stick with the V354. I am planning on adding some anti-vibration material to the drive assembly as I build it. I will post pictures as I go along.

I am going update our "workstation" PC at some point and am really leaning toward one of the fractal cases.

Thanks again to all who replied.