RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Proliant MicroServer - Good investment?

Keith-UK

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I invest the £95 for a HP Proliant MicroServer

• Yes, buy now
    • No, Spend elsewhere

Over here in the UK the HP Proliant MicroServer is being offered at £195 with a cashback of £100 being offered by HP. HP Proliant MicroServer for £95

I am not ready to move to 2011 yet being a confirmed v1 man but when one of the DE add-in proves its value I might well make the jump.

My question for you guys is, is the HP Proliant MicroServer worth investing the cash now to get the reduced price so that I can stick a couple of drives in it and be ready to roll with 2011?

Any and all views would be welcome

Thanks everyone

Keith

Edited by Keith-UK

I feel it is best to build your own box. It gives maximum flexibility and you can design the performance you want. With that said, several on here have bought the proliant and the only thing they changed is they upgraded the memory to speed it up.

I have heard many great things about this box and if you have a use for it now, pick it up. I wish they were running the same deals here in the US.

I've been very happy with my Microserver, I've hosted both SBS-E and WHS 2011 on it with no real problems. The default config (at least when I got it) doesn't have enough memory to run WHS, and it uses ECC memory, so upgrading the RAM will cost a bit more than usual. Also, the cpu isn't extremely powerful, so if you have plans to run any kind of performance demanding applications (transcoding comes to mind, probably Hyper-V as well, but I wouldn't put that on WHS anyways), it won't be the best at that. I haven't tried to use the Silverlight streaming functionality since I don't have enough upstream bandwidth on my internet connection, but other than that, I've had no problems running WHS and MyMovies on it.

• Like 1

For the price I'd say jump on it -- you can max out the RAM and "burn" in your system now and it will be ready when you're ready to move to 2011 or even SBS-E -- in the interim you can use it as a backup for your V1 and a test platform -- wish we had a similar deal in the US -- prices here are still over $300 which is above WAF (wife acceptance factor).

Good luck and keep us posted!

I've been running WHS 2011 on this since June. It's not a speed demon but works fine for what I do. I play video directly from the server without a problem. Including streaming to my DVD player and performance is fine. I've used both Western Digital and Hitachi 3 TB drives in them without a problem or special configuration. I don't run any add-ins beside one for backups. I don't use the on board RAID so can't speak to it's performance but wouldn't expect much from it (only does RAID 0 and 1). I did go to the maximum 8GB of RAM on this box.

I'm currently running Untangle on another one of these and it also works fine.

I've also been able to run Citrix XenServer on the box and actually set up a super router on it. Only reason I didn't keep it was pfSense and my DSL provider didn't work well together. Keep in mind it's a low powered box so not a lot of VMs but I could fire up one or two for testing. And SBS 2011 also ran fine. Ditto with Ubuntu. Although I'm not currently running any of these now.

Overall I love these flexible servers and bought a couple when they were on sale awhile back and picked up another used. So if I was in your plce I'd be buying but YMMV. They were cheap enough that I don't feel bad keeping one in a cabinet as a spare so if one fails I can just move the drives. It's a pain to open up and swap card or memory but other than that they're easy to work with and swap drives around.

Thanks to all you guys for your help and advice. I have pulled the trigger and the box should be here tomorrow. ImTheKinndofGuy suggested a homebuild but I don't feel I have the experience to pick compatible components although I have put boxes together in the past, I have always had help selecting the components.

I am now reading up on details of 2011 and am looking forward to setting it all up when I am convinced everything is in place for it to be better than v1. I might even use it with v1 as Ikon suggests

Cheers all, a great help as always

snip

I am now reading up on details of 2011 and am looking forward to setting it all up when I am convinced everything is in place for it to be better than v1. I might even use it with v1 as Ikon suggests

Cheers all, a great help as always

Loading V1 on it and just letting it run/cook for awhile would also burn it in so that you know you have a good reliable system when you're ready for 2011.

Edited by Joe_Miner