RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DLNA compatible music streamers

edamiga1

I need help trying to find the lowest cost music streamers for my home.

I am looking at getting a DLNA compatible device that I can use Play to on windows 7.

I currently have a roku soundbridge, but hope there is something else out there that is cheaper.

The output will be wired to a whole home audio system that will have the amplifier and speakers as part of it.

Any advice is appreciated.

I need help trying to find the lowest cost music streamers for my home.

I am looking at getting a DLNA compatible device that I can use Play to on windows 7.

I currently have a roku soundbridge, but hope there is something else out there that is cheaper.

The output will be wired to a whole home audio system that will have the amplifier and speakers as part of it.

Any advice is appreciated.

It might help if you could give a price or price range.

Some models of the WD Live boxes can be found for less than $100. They are definitely DLNA compliant, but I have never tried PlayTo on one.

I just looked at the WD boxes and they say they support DLNA and Play To, so it might be an option. The other concern is cost of powering them 24/7. Do you have any idea of what power consumption would be?

I just looked at the WD boxes and they say they support DLNA and Play To, so it might be an option. The other concern is cost of powering them 24/7. Do you have any idea of what power consumption would be?

I don't have specifics but I'm sure the WD website would list it and, to be honest, I can't imagine it's very high.

PlayOn works pretty good on my WDTV Live Plus device. Some channels have had issues but that was because PlayOn needed to update their software. Since WDTV can use SMB shares, I prefer to use that over DLNA. Also, if like to hack devices(technially it does VOID the warranty) you can install different firmwares which will enhance its features. I use it so the device thinks my SMB/NFS shares are attach hard drives.

I would have to check again but I think it was under 15 watts when it use and a few watts in standby

Edited by Cino

Also, if like to hack devices(technially it does VOID the warranty) you can install different firmwares which will enhance its features. I use it so the device thinks my SMB/NFS shares are attach hard drives.

Which firmware are you using? I use, hmm, want to say it is WDLXTV, but I haven't updated it in about a year. Really like the way the custom firmware shows the cover art and does sharing but I'd like to try the shares as attached drives feature.

For some firmware (custom and official) and info: http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?

I use WDLXTV, running their latest version. Its pretty easy do to. I have a small thumb drive that contains a file called net.mounts. Within this file, you put the share you want to connect to. There is a way to save it to the NVRAM instead of thumb but this way was easier to implement. I tried the cover art and such, but need to tweak it since my other half doesn't approve with the speed of it. May just copy of the art to the thumb drive to speed up the process. If i had the money right now, I would attach one to every TV since you add a supported WiFi stick to it (Would need to hardwire for HD and ISO playback of course). Here is my file as an example to follow:

#
# Example net.mounts file to demonstrate auto-mounting
# of network shares
#
# note: that if you store a net.mounts file in /conf/ then it will ALSO
# execute on startup.
#
# Mount a windows file share (must be done by IP address)
#
#xmount "//192.168.0.33/ShareName" "ShareName" cifs

#  if your "guest" account is disabled, you must supply username and password
#
#xmount "//192.168.0.34/ShareName" "ShareName" cifs "user=username,pass=password"
#
xmount "//192.168.0.100/MOVIES$" "Movies" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
xmount "//192.168.0.100/HDMOVIES$" "HD Movies" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
xmount "//192.168.0.100/TVSHOWS$" "TV Shows" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
xmount "//192.168.0.100/DVDRIPS$" "DVD Rips" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
xmount "//192.168.0.100/KIDSHOWS$" "Kid Shows" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
xmount "//192.168.0.100/MUSIC$" "Music" cifs "user=xxxxx,pass=xxxxx"
#
# Mount an NFS share
#
#xmount 192.168.0.44:/nfsroot ShareName nfs
#
xmount 192.168.0.20:/Video Video nfs
#xmount 192.168.0.100:/MoviesNFS "Movies" nfs
#xmount 192.168.0.100:/HD_MoviesNFS "HD Movies" nfs
#xmount 192.168.0.100:/DVD_RipsNFS "DVD Rips" nfs
#xmount 192.168.0.100:/TV_ShowsNFS "TV Shows" nfs
#xmount 192.168.0.100:/Kid_ShowsNFS "Kid Shows" nfs
# Mount a remote FTP
# to find advanced options execute:
# curlftpfs --help
#
#xmount "ftp://192.168.0.234:21" "FTP Name" ftpfs "-o user=UserName:Password -o Option2"

# Mount a remote SSH server
# sshfs *requires* keyless login
# you can view your public key by executing:
#   ssh-public-key
# add your key to a remote machine by executing:
#   ssh-copy-id user@server
#
# to find options execute:
# sshfs --help
#
#xmount "User@ServerName:Directory" "Server Name"sshfs "-o follow_symlinks"
# combine previous xmounts using unionfs
# unionfs takes a colon delimited list of \047ShareNames\047 and aggregates their content to the target
# directory structure is preserved
## the following is an example, it mounts 4 remote shares \047hidden\047 so they
## are not visible in the OSD and then aggregates them.
## you hide an xmount by preceeding its \047ShareName\047 with a .  (dot)
#xmount "192.168.0.44:/movies"   ".movies1"  nfs
#xmount "192.168.0.233:/stuff"   ".movies2"  nfs
#xmount "192.168.0.101:/movies3" ".movies3"  nfs
#xmount "192.168.0.151:/videos"  ".movies4"  nfs
#xmount ".movies1:.movies2:.movies3:.movies4"  "ShareUnion"  unionfs

Which firmware are you using? I use, hmm, want to say it is WDLXTV, but I haven't updated it in about a year. Really like the way the custom firmware shows the cover art and does sharing but I'd like to try the shares as attached drives feature.

For some firmware (custom and official) and info: http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?

I use WDLXTV, running their latest version. Its pretty easy do to. I have a small thumb drive that contains a file called net.mounts. Within this file, you put the share you want to connect to. There is a way to save it to the NVRAM instead of thumb but this way was easier to implement. I tried the cover art and such, but need to tweak it since my other half doesn't approve with the speed of it. May just copy of the art to the thumb drive to speed up the process. If i had the money right now, I would attach one to every TV since you add a supported WiFi stick to it (Would need to hardwire for HD and ISO playback of course). Here is my file as an example to follow:

#
# Example net.mounts file to demonstrate auto-mounting
# of network shares
#
~~~
#xmount "192.168.0.233:/stuff"   ".movies2"  nfs
#xmount "192.168.0.101:/movies3" ".movies3"  nfs
#xmount "192.168.0.151:/videos"  ".movies4"  nfs
#xmount ".movies1:.movies2:.movies3:.movies4"  "ShareUnion"  unionfs

Thanks both of you. I have one of these but had no idea there's 3rd party firmware available.