RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

WHS 2011 for $44.99 and MS stock price

jmwills

A simple coupon code will seal the deal.

(How low can it go?)

geek-accountant

I hear that if you buy a mouse keyboard combo, they will throw in a copy of WHS.

dvn

I hear that if you buy a mouse keyboard combo, they will throw in a copy of WHS.

Does that include a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I don't believe that is a good deal. At least throw in an OS that works.

jmwills

Say what? :o

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Say what? :o

Sorry, I am getting I little upset that they released the product with so many bugs and issues like only being able to back up 2 TB.

jmwills

I will agree they took an existing product and simplified it a bit but without rewriting the entire source code what else could they do? Third party backup solutions are better but there is the issue.....it's no longer a "normal" consumer grade product.

It works for me and when I stood up the new SBS Regular server a couple of weeks ago, navigation around the dashboard was easy with the WHS background.

geek-accountant

The lack of new hardware and the drastic cut in price, says something. MS only has themselves to blame for when this is ultimately discontinued. Nearly no marketing, and the fact they seem unable to connect the dots, no matter how close they may be, doomed this product a long time ago. It's a real shame, because there were so close and with a few improvements and a decent marketing campaign the user base could have really grown.

Of course there is another solution. Since OEM's are not pouring out pre-built machines, why shouldn't MS build a really nice model that looks sexy and could almost sell by looks alone. Then spend a tad more than ZERO on advertising and you might just have something. Heck, why not connect a couple of dots and throw in MC and a little more hardware and have it be a DVR also, or additional storage for my Xbox360's. Although, IMO, MC needs a serious update. Yea I said it, MC needs a serious update!

While I am in no way an Apple fan (actually don't like them at all), they are pushing forward in an aggressive manner. MS seems to just be sitting back collecting some big checks from OS, Office and Server products content to slooowly follow in others foot steps. As a shareholder, albeit small, someone needs to provide us with a valid reason why the stock has done NOTHING in 10+ years, or they need to leave. The buck needs to stop somewhere. Their tablet answer is pathetic and they will most likely be 3 product cycles behind before they get anything to market. Someone should pay for that mistake.

All that to say, IMO, the only way WHS doesn't get discontinued is because they forget it is still for sale.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The lack of new hardware and the drastic cut in price, says something. MS only has themselves to blame for when this is ultimately discontinued. Nearly no marketing, and the fact they seem unable to connect the dots, no matter how close they may be, doomed this product a long time ago. It's a real shame, because there were so close and with a few improvements and a decent marketing campaign the user base could have really grown.

Of course there is another solution. Since OEM's are not pouring out pre-built machines, why shouldn't MS build a really nice model that looks sexy and could almost sell by looks alone. Then spend a tad more than ZERO on advertising and you might just have something. Heck, why not connect a couple of dots and throw in MC and a little more hardware and have it be a DVR also, or additional storage for my Xbox360's. Although, IMO, MC needs a serious update. Yea I said it, MC needs a serious update!

While I am in no way an Apple fan (actually don't like them at all), they are pushing forward in an aggressive manner. MS seems to just be sitting back collecting some big checks from OS, Office and Server products content to slooowly follow in others foot steps. As a shareholder, albeit small, someone needs to provide us with a valid reason why the stock has done NOTHING in 10+ years, or they need to leave. The buck needs to stop somewhere. Their tablet answer is pathetic and they will most likely be 3 product cycles behind before they get anything to market. Someone should pay for that mistake.

All that to say, IMO, the only way WHS doesn't get discontinued is because they forget it is still for sale.

Good post and I agree with everything you typed except for the stock price. If you look at their performance over the 10+ years you will see it has been strong. They have had record earnings, profits, etc. I feel the problem in this area, and with our entire stock market, is that stock performance has nothing to do with business performance any longer. Today, it is all about speculation and if they speculators don't have a personal interest, then your stock is either flat or declines. This same phenomenon affects the price of oil. It is rediculous and is killing the American dream.

Now, back to MS and their products... They have a major execution problem. They have great ideas but they usually don't execute on them and this leaves a lot of their products half complete. I feel W7 is awesome and have no problems with that but in some of the other area's (tablets, storage, mp3 player) they are seriously lacking. For the first time in my life I am looking at an apple product, ipad, and I don't like it. I would get an Android tablet but am concerned about the battery life because my Droid 2 battery life is horrible as it only lasts about 8 hours without use.

geek-accountant

Good post and I agree with everything you typed except for the stock price. If you look at their performance over the 10+ years you will see it has been strong. They have had record earnings, profits, etc. I feel the problem in this area, and with our entire stock market, is that stock performance has nothing to do with business performance any longer. Today, it is all about speculation and if they speculators don't have a personal interest, then your stock is either flat or declines. This same phenomenon affects the price of oil. It is rediculous and is killing the American dream.

Now, back to MS and their products... They have a major execution problem. They have great ideas but they usually don't execute on them and this leaves a lot of their products half complete. I feel W7 is awesome and have no problems with that but in some of the other area's (tablets, storage, mp3 player) they are seriously lacking. For the first time in my life I am looking at an apple product, ipad, and I don't like it. I would get an Android tablet but am concerned about the battery life because my Droid 2 battery life is horrible as it only lasts about 8 hours without use.

I don't agree on the stock price. Look at the chart below and you can see it has gone nowhere over this time. I do agree that there have been general market conditions that have impacted this, but at some point the guy in charge has to take some blame and not pass it on to things outside his control. I would also say Apple is WAY over priced, although I would not short the stock enough though it's only a matter of time before it does make a correction.

msstock.jpg

I feel you on the battery life. My Samsung Galaxy S needs to be charged a couple times a day, although I do use it pretty heavy. Still, I will not be getting an iPad but may get the Samsung tablet for my wife.