RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

One of the computer on the network not backing up

swapna

Is this a system you may want to do a Bare Metal Restore on at some time in the future? IOW, are you trying to back it up so that, if the system drive dies, you can install a new drive and restore the system in a bootable manner?

If so, you really should test that right now, preferably using a spare drive. I would be concerned about whether of not the 100MB Reserved Partition will affect the ability to do a BMR.

Yes.  If you cannot restore that hidden 100 MB  partition you are not going to have good time.  I know the horse is out of the barn, but if you don't use bitlocker and are installing Windows 7 from scratch install without the 100 MB separate partition.  But then again I have some computers with that partition that I tested last night for backing up and restoring with my new install of WHS 2011 and it worked nicely.  The main purpose of my WHS 2011 is its keen ability to do bare metal restores.  I'll try to backup a Dell I have in my shop with all these goofy partitions on it and see if it works and report back.  HP computers are a zoo also for partitions.  I should try one of those also. 

This is one reason I ALWAYS wipe and clean install every new machine.

I did a restore with the Dell and HP computer with all their partitions and all went well.  So I don't know what issues the other users had that were having issues. 

So you can leave out the Reserved Partition and still do Bare Metal Restores. That's great news joem. Thanks for posting.

I got into my situation when I upgraded my 64GB SSD boot drive on a Win7 box to a 128GB SSD. My 64GB was having issues, so I did a bare metal restore to a 1TB spare I had to keep things going until my 128GB SSD arrived. Once I got that installed, I messed up and did the restore to my second drive in the Win7 box, which is a 600GB spinner. (Insert language here). I had been having backup problems with this box for a couple weeks, so I went back to the last good backup and did a bare metal restore (correctly) to the 128GB SSD. This was my first time, so I did not know about allocating the 100MB reserved partition as part of the restore. After I got the boot drive restored and it wouldn't boot, I used my Win7 disc to repair it. Now all was up and running, or at least booting, and I then did a bare metal restore of the 600GB drive from my WHS2011 box. Everything seemed to be working then, except I still couldn't do a WHS backup, getting the "not enough space" message. I knew that was not true so today I had time to start searching for the answer, which leads us to my post.

All seems to be working fine. I'll see how the automatic backup goes tonight.

Yeah, I've run into some of these issues too. It was a pleasant surprise to hear I can restore only the C: partition and it should work.

• 1 month later...

I just got hit with this problem also and the fix was the same.

I recently upgraded my EX490 to WHS2011 and all but one of my PCs have backed up correctly.

My work laptop is an Asus Zenbook (UX51VZ-xh71) and it has 3 partitions (Recovery 6GB, Reserved 100MB, & C:\) with UEFI/GPT from the factory.

One of the first things I did after installing WHS2011 was to install hotfix 2781272 and all my PCs are backing up fine except this one.

It is currently backing up (15% and progressing) since I selected ONLY the C:\ partition.  Once it's done I'll try adding the 100MB partition back to the list and try again.

I already have an Acronis TIB full backup of the partition map so I'm not overly concerned.

I would hope that M$ intends to back-port the backup functions from Server 2012 back to WHS2011 to fix all these problems.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants