RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

One of the computer on the network not backing up

swapna

Hello, So I bought my self the home server 2011, it is finally available in Canada for $50, installed and setup. I have three win 7 pc's on my network, my main computer which is a dell, it has 500gb hard drive with 160gb free. This computer does not back up, it shows as unsuccessful with a detail as "insufficient storage available for backup, backup cannot save a snapshot of the volume on this computer because the computer does not have enough storage space available.

To resolve this issue either add more storage space to this computer or free up some space on this existing drive."

Does any one know what is the trouble here, when I checked the help article it said "For each of the hard disks that were not backed up successfully, the following steps may help you resolve the issue:

Make sure that the hard disk is connected to the computer, turned on, and functioning properly.

Run chkdsk to determine if there are errors on the hard disk. For information about running chkdsk, see CHKDSK (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206562).

Make sure that the computer was not shutdown or disconnected from the network while backup was running.

Backup requires some additional disk space on the client computer to run. There should be at least 10% available disk space on all hard disks that are installed on the client computer. Check the disk space on the client computer to make sure that there is enough for backup to run.

Check alerts on the server for any alerts that may indicate that there is not enough disk space on the server for backup to complete successfully. Follow the instructions in the alert to fix the issue.

Run vssadmin in a command prompt to troubleshoot Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) issues. For information about vssadmin, see VSSADMIN (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=94332)."

none of these seem to apply to me I think!

Is any one able to shed some light in to this matter, Thanks in advance.

Hello, So I bought my self the home server 2011, it is finally available in Canada for $50, installed and setup. I have three win 7 pc's on my network, my main computer which is a dell, it has 500gb hard drive with 160gb free. This computer does not back up, it shows as unsuccessful with a detail as "insufficient storage available for backup, backup cannot save a snapshot of the volume on this computer because the computer does not have enough storage space available.

To resolve this issue either add more storage space to this computer or free up some space on this existing drive."

How much space is available on the server?

Tell us more about the client computer....VSSADMIN refers to the Volume Shadow Copy service. Do you have Shadow Copies enabled on the server or client?

Hi, thanks for the reply, so I have on the server two 2tb hdd and a500 gig system drive, I just added the second 2tb drive today thinking may be that was the issue withe not having enough space.

on the client it is just a normal dell computer with win 7 500 gig hdd it did come with a dell back up system that backs up the computer every now and then.

of the 500 gb 160 still free

is the dell backup software causing any issue?

I had an issue once where I created a small d partition (6GB) on my system drive of my PC, I want to add a 2nd OS of Windows Embedded Standard 7. The OS with a few extras took up 95% of that partition, but it still worked, however this partition was included in the WHS PC backups configuration and because it was so full, the backup would fail, even though my c partition had lots of space.

Do you have a similar issue? Also check the Dashboard where you configure the backup for that PC to see what it's backing up.

is the dell backup software causing any issue?

I may be quite wrong, but I have the strong suspicion that it may indeed be the root cause of the problem. I suspect that this is somewhat similar to the situation where people are running two Anti-Virus packages on their PC, and then they wonder why they have problems...

Since you have backups now being handled by WHS 2011, why not uninstall the Dell backup software and see what happens?

I tried some thing last night that seemed to work but I sure don't know what was the cause. I had a spare 1tb hdd and so I cloned the 500gb to the 1tb and booted from that drive and so the back up seems to work ok now! one other thing is my 500gb drive was the new Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive, now I am wondering if that had anything to do with the trouble?

But for now all is good!

Thanks for your replies

It sounds like the issue I had here. When I installed Windows 7 on my machine, there was a 100mb partition created that has the MBR (IIRC) and I tried Bitlocker once which cut into this reserve partition and shrunk it. Unfortuantely, when I disabled Bitlocker, it does not reclaim that space. I had to delete it and move the MBR to the C: partition.

Do you have a small partition like that?

It sounds like the issue I had here. When I installed Windows 7 on my machine, there was a 100mb partition created that has the MBR (IIRC) and I tried Bitlocker once which cut into this reserve partition and shrunk it. Unfortuantely, when I disabled Bitlocker, it does not reclaim that space. I had to delete it and move the MBR to the C: partition.

Do you have a small partition like that?

It must, I think that's where the dell backs up/ it does have a system recovery to dell factory default option. I have to look at it further, now that "texasPI" had the same error, I think that is what the problem is, may be that partition does not have 10% minimum free space available. I will look in to it!

Thank you all for your input. great community!

It would've been nice if the error explanation was a little more smarter and tell me exactly what the problem is rather than a general description and very little help on Microsoft's help site.

• 1 year later...

Once again, HomeServerShow forums to the rescue! I've been messing with a similar problem for the last week. Today I removed the computer that would not back up and re-added. No luck. Still "Not enough room", despite having 5+ TB available. Then I found this thread. I had a partition that was 100MB for the reserve partition. I unchecked it from the backup plan and away we go! Backing up now successfully.