RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 faling to install to RAID1 (mirror)

dvn

No luck with attaching an OS drive (a drive previously attached directly to the mobo as the OS was installed) to the card. Boot gets as far as the blinking cursor on a black screen. Is this some kind of compatibility problem? There has to be something about the hardware in my server machine because I've been able to put the card in my PC, attach the OS drive, and boot right up, no problem.

I agree, that sounds really suspicious. Can't think of anything ATM that would cause it, but will think on it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

Top Posters In This Topic

Weirdest thing. I was ignoring the blinking cursor on the server's monitor while I browsed Newegg for parts I can't afford. After at least a half hour, maybe an hour, I notice the Windows loading screen. What the? Yes, it booted to the login screen and I was able to login to desktop. Now I've heard of RAID cards adding some time to the boot but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, the HDD was re-detected because it was now connected to the RAID card. Then the system needed a reboot. Alright! I think, but... Uh, no. Not so much. Once again, the blinking cursor is staring back at me. Probably some time after midnight it'll boot to the login screen. :P

Now you've got me curious...but not sure I want to tear up my WS 2008R2 system to try booting off of the 7920. I know I had to disable the 7920's boot status via the BIOS update in order to load and boot from a separate RAID device (in this case the IcyDock RAID1 system.) I wonder if that is causing a problem in reverse. Do you have the mobo ports set to RAID or are they set to AHCI? If RAID, they may be conflicting.

Also, you should be able to boot from a single drive set to the JBOD setting on the 7920. You can then add a second drive and convert it to RAID1.

Thanks for that info. Didn't know if I could convert to RAID without wiping the data. I'll try it when I get home. I tried installing with the SATA ports set both ways - AHCI and IDE. Either way, same result.

I may buy another 1156 mobo, something not Intel, which is what I have now - DH55TC. I've updated its BIOS about a week ago just to get the RAID card to work with non-OS drives in RAID0. At that time, I had not attached the OS drive and the system was running fine. But I am rebuilding the storage array because I am going from RAID0 to RAID5, now that I have enough drives, and I want to run the OS on a mirror for faster read times. Hopefully speed up loading the Dashboard, which could stand to be a lot faster, in my opinion.

When I got up this morning, the server was at the login screen, just as I thought it might be. I updated the video driver from the default and rebooted. Blinking cursor, once more. To be a little more precise about it, I get the blinking cursor for a couple minutes, then the screen goes blank entirely. Some time, a good while later, the system will boot to the login screen.

The other variant you could try is just a single drive boot with not drive attached then create the mirror later. As a last ditch, install and boot on your motherboard as a single drive, after the drivers for the card have been loaded, add a second drive, reboot and create the mirror in windows. Should not be that way but it is an option.

The other variant you could try is just a single drive boot with not drive attached then create the mirror later. As a last ditch, install and boot on your motherboard as a single drive, after the drivers for the card have been loaded, add a second drive, reboot and create the mirror in windows. Should not be that way but it is an option.

I actually did both of those last night. You know, I'm almost to the point of ordering a new mobo and dumping this Intel DH55TC. But my next step will be to stick the card in an old BFG i680/Pentium system and see if I can create a mirror and install successfully to that. I'm betting that I have success with it, really hoping anyway. Let you guys know how it goes tonight.

I know this card works because I've already stuck it in my desktop, attached my SSD boot drive, and it fired right up. No problem. So I'm guessing it's the hardware.

Does anyone think it's odd that the server actually boots, but only after an hour or more of blinking cursor/ black screen? This is so weird. I've never seen anything like it. And I've seen this happen 2 times in a row. I left for work this morning having just rebooted the server again, and I expect to see the login screen when I get home. Has anyone ever seen this?

There are only so many setting in this Intel mobo's BIOS. And definitely not as many as a higher-end OC'ing mobo. I've got 2 more tricks (read wild guesses) that I'll try when I get home. One is related to a BIOS setting concerning whether ports 5 and 6 are eSATA. The other is to try an installation of W7. If those fail, the card goes into my old BFG i680 system for a try there.

this is certainly a head scratcher. The most obvious suspect is that 2 or more devices or services are trying to resolve something, perhaps waiting for an acknowledgement or other response.

I wonder if the mobo raid driver and RR driver are both trying to enumerate the RR card and stomping on each other? Maybe they're both querying the RR and it's getting confused trying to answer both drivers.

Update: I'm currently installing WHS 2011 using the RAID card in my slowpoke 680i system. I ran into this error message upon 1st reboot and all subsequent bootups:

• Warning:Have Option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID:10DEh, Device ID:0373h)
  • Warning:Have Option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID:10DEh, Device ID:036Eh)

I googled it. This is an error message associated with 680i mobos and nVidia chipset. Regardless, the boot process continues after a few moments. So whatever that is, or however to get rid of it, it's not a show stopper. Just a 5 second delay. Setup is proceeding along. This tells me there was something about my Core i3 system that hung things up. I don't want to spend a lot of money just now so I'll stick everything but the motherboard. Whatever I do get, it won't be an Intel. I'm officially open to suggestions for mobos that play nice with a RocketRaid 2720. :D

Oh, yes. The server OS is now installed and bootable. Hm, I wonder if I could stand the performance of an E3400, which is what's in there now. That, and 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM! Yowzah!

All joking aside, it's actually pretty zippy, considering. I may have to think about this.

You know, I had a dual MP2400 on a Tyan Thunder - a $900 server class motherboard - that was rock solid. And one day, it started exhibiting the same sort of problem; i.e. interminably long boot times. I mean, just like yours where I assumed it was basically dead and then all of a sudden it would complete the boot process. I never timed it, but anything more than five minutes you pretty much assume it ain't working, and this was in the 15+ minute range.

Want to know what fixed it? Two things, strangely. One, there appeared to be an issue with an attached USB device causing it to have some weird issues. Don't recall what the device was anymore - this was USB 1.1 days - but I know pulling the device made the boot a lot faster. Two - new PSU. Dual CPU, two SCSI 160s, dual NICs, ECC memory (8 sticks), all on a fairly new 400w PSU (which was fairly powerful for 2001/2002.) Never figured that was the problem, but swapped it out with a different (530w) PSU when I pulled the mobo out for testing and it fired right up. That was also when I determined the USB device was part of the problem. If I used the old PSU it still had intermittent boot issues. If I used the new PSU but with the USB device plugged in it would cause intermittent issues. I thought at first it was bad motherboard grounding because when I had it out of the case it worked fine, but eventually figured out it was the PSU *and* the faulty USB device connected.

P.S. I don't know why I kept typing 7920 for the RAID card instead of 2720 earlier. I have the 2720 as well. I'm was looking at the darn box, and typing 7920 for some reason.

P.P.S That's a fairly decent chip, actually. A lot more powerful than most of the pre-made WHS boxes. It's equivalent to an Athlon II X2 540, easy.

Edited by timekills