RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 faling to install to RAID1 (mirror)

dvn

I'm trying to install 2011 on a RAID1 (mirror). I'm stuck and need some help. These are my notes:

Reinstall 2011 on RAID1 – Boot machine, create RAID1 in RocketRAID 2720 BIOS utility and assign the array as the boot drive, begin installation of OS with RAID drivers on USB installation stick. Drivers loaded, drive detected. Initial installation completes and the machine reboots for the 1st time. During reboot, pull the USB stick and let the machine boot to the RAID1 drive. Get to a blinking cursor on a black screen, and nothing else. Wait, nothing. Reboot, same thing.

Re-run installation – same end result.

Run Installation Repair. Drive is not detected, so I attempt to load the RAID driver. Looks like it's going to install, but the process fails after a short while.

Reboot and go back into the RAID BIOS screen <CTRL + H> and make sure the mirror array is the boot device.

Re-run installation. Install the RAID drivers as before, check “I understand the data will be lost…”, Enter, and the installation is off and running once more. Approximate times for the installation phases:

• Expanding Windows files = 7-9 minutes
  • Installing features = 0 seconds. Did not occur. Gets a green check mark, anyway. Is this normal?? That no features are installed? Could be, but I never noticed before.
  • Installing updates = 10 seconds. Unable because network driver was not yet installed. Green check.
  • Completing Installation = a few seconds, then prompt for reboot
  • Pull USB stick as the machine reboots
  • Back at blinking cursor on black screen once more = fail

What am I doing wrong? I thought the two Samsung 320GB drives were the exact same model, but they are off by a letter. Is that it? Don't see how the installation could look like it's proceeding well, but still end up at a blinking cursor after the 1st reboot.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, not sure if this is the definite answer, but I would like to see you leave the USB stick in. Don't set the bios to auto-boot from USB. Have it set to boot from hard disk. Use the bios boot menu to start the install from the USB. When it auto-reboots it should start from the HD and then continue to read stuff from the USB as required for it to finish the installation.

Having no luck, I broke the RAID1 array. Keeping both drives attached to the RAID card, I ran installation. I got to the point where the RAID driver needed to be loaded, but this time it won't load. I cannot proceed with the installation. I powered off the machine, pulled one drive, and left the other attached to the card. I try again, but still can't load the driver. I see it, I can select it, it looks like it's going to do something, then nothing. Not even a message.

My conclusion at this point is that the driver cannot be loaded if the card is not hosting a RAID array. A single drive attached to the card will not work. Or at least it's not working for me. Any thoughts at this point would be greatly appreciated.

My conclusion at this point is that the driver cannot be loaded if the card is not hosting a RAID array. A single drive attached to the card will not work. Or at least it's not working for me. Any thoughts at this point would be greatly appreciated.

oh wow, completely missed that you only have 1 drive attached. Yeah, I wouldn't think that would work.

Well, in the end I only had a single drive attached. But my initial post was about a RAID1 that I could not install to. I only worked my way down to the single drive after I ran out of ideas on how to get the OS installed on that mirror. While I had an array, the driver loaded and allowed the installation to begin and get to the point of reboot before it stopped at the blinking cursor. With the single drive, or even with 2 drives attached but not in an array, the driver would fail to load. At that point, I could not proceed with installation. I was at a dead stop. But again, that was only when there was no array on the card.

Either way, I don't seem to be able to install to a drive connected to the RAID card. Something's wrong, but I've run out of ideas at this point. And funny should have mentioned it, but at one point I did leave the USB stick attached and hit the boot menu to boot from the drive on a hunch that there was something more needed from the installation package. But that did not work.

At this point, if I still want to run the OS drive off the RAID card, I can first install with the drive connected directly to the mobo, then move it over to the card. Not sure I can create a mirror at that point, like you can when drives are connected directly to the motherboard. I'm talking here about RAID in Disk Management. I've done that. However, I will connect the drive and one more to the card once the install is completed and see if it's possible to create a mirror on the RAID card without losing data. Obviously, I'm in a very steep learning curve at this point. :)

thanks for the clarification. In that case I would try the idea from my previous post.

Sorry about that. I was editing, adding to my last post when you posted this. If you look it over again you'll see I tried that. Nothing to lose, right? But as I say, it didn't work for me.

Sorry about that. I was editing, adding to my last post when you posted this. If you look it over again you'll see I tried that. Nothing to lose, right? But as I say, it didn't work for me.

dang. too bad.

I just love how I can sit down to do a simple thing and end up with nothing 5 hours later. Well, maybe not love...but oh, the learning! So good. Thank you Microsoft for this gift...of migraine. lol

No luck with attaching an OS drive (a drive previously attached directly to the mobo as the OS was installed) to the card. Boot gets as far as the blinking cursor on a black screen. Is this some kind of compatibility problem? There has to be something about the hardware in my server machine because I've been able to put the card in my PC, attach the OS drive, and boot right up, no problem.