RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MY WHS 2011 Build

jimmer

What do you guys think?

I Currently have a ReadyNASNV 1TB data and WHS Server HP MSS EX 470 1TB data. I store DVD's,Photos,Music and Important Doc's I have converted to pdf.

I would like to experiment down the road with VmWare Sphere Hypervisor

MB Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-0 LGA 1155 C204 mAtx Xeon E3 Server MB

CPU Intel Xeon E-1230 Sandy Bridge

Ram Kingston 2 x 4GB ECC KVR1333DE9SK2/8G

OS Drive WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500 GB 7200RPM 3.0Gb/s SATA

Storage Drive 2 EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 3.0Gb/s SATA

Power Supply Corsair CX430 V2 430W

Case reused Antec mid Tower case

Is the power supply ok? If not can you suggest an alternative. Would you go with WD green drives rather then the Samsungs? (same price)

I know this build is a little overkill for WHS2011 but I want a stable driver supported motherboard. I welcome any suggestions.Thank you

MB choice is a very personal thing and you need to buy what you are comforatble with. Personaly I would not pick that MB/CPU as you can the same or better features, better cooling for much less. Ultimately it is you call and will certainly be a nice system. Either Samsung or WD will be fine for this build as they both make great drives. Look for the best value or brand loyalty. The 430 is a single rail supply and is a great choice for this build. Good luck and let know what you get.

Thank you pcdoc for your quick response. This is a very informative forum. I built many desktop computers but never a server system. By browsing the forum I have learned a great deal. I thought the MB/CPU was overkill but just needed some affirmation. I would like to purchase a mb which will be compatible with WHS 2011. What I have read a H67 board would work. I really liked the DH67CF from Intel paired with an i3-2100T or i5-2400S but people on other forums had difficulty installing drivers. I am open to any suggestions. I have built computers with ASUS,INTEL,ASROCK MB. The ZOTOC MB look's interesting but I have no experience with them. I may do some transcoding so need a CPU which is adequate. Thank you again for your help.

There should be much in the way of issues with drivers. Not sure what you destop favorites are but any H67 Gigabyte, Asus, or Zotac should be fine. You will make you selections based on features, connectors etc. Any current Intel based motherboard you can install windows on should work fine with your WHS 2011. Nothing against AMD just do not have the experience with them. One last thing, No need to spend for an RE4 either, the drive is only for the OS and since you will be backing up, you will not benefit much. No harm if you do but thought I would mention it.

Thank you pcdoc for your input. I have changed my build to reflect the info I have found on this site and pcdoc's advice. I am hoping to purchase soon.

How does this look?

MB Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 Mini ITX

CPU Can not decided b/w i3-2100, i32100t or i5-2500k

Mem Gskill Ripjaws GB (2x4) F3-1066CL9D-8GBRL

Power Cool Master M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W

Hard Drive OS WD AV-GP-WD3200AVVS 320GB

Hard Drive 3 Samsung F4 HD204UI 2TB

Case Lian Li PC-Q08

Any advice before I pull the trigger. Thank you

Edited by jimmer

Ok I made some additional adjustments:

Storage Hard Drives 3 WD WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s

OS Hard Drive WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200Rpm 2.5 Sata to consider Icy Dock in future

High Point RocketRAID 2720SGL

CPU i3 2100

How does this look? Any thing you would change. Thanks

CPU i3 2100

Can you tell me how you decided on the i3 2100 instead of the i3-2100T or i5

I see the 2100T is $10 more yet uses less power but slower?

I'm also trying to decide on my CPU from these three

Don't go the S or T route. More money for a crippled chip. Negligible power difference in real world, just slower and more expensive.

I bought the i3 2100. For $15 on the egg I could have bought the 2120. I have not loaded WHS 2011 yet. I just finished building my box tonight not loaded the OS. I agree with timekills don't go the s or t route.