RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to delete server backups?

Noble6

Hi,

I was backing up the server to an external hard disk but have now replaced it with a bigger HDD. How do I remove the old backup history showing on my server? I can't seem to find any option to delete them.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was backing up the server to an external hard disk but have now replaced it with a bigger HDD. How do I remove the old backup history showing on my server? I can't seem to find any option to delete them.

Thanks!

I think Dave asked exactly the same question on last week's HSS podcast. Someone in the live chat gave him an answer I believe.

I couldn't find the answer in the podcast so went through the various technet articles on Windows 2008R2 backup. This is what I did.

1)From the dashboard, removed the server backup schedule and removed the old hard drive from the backup pool

2)Remote desktop into the server and opened a command prompt

3)Type the command "wbadmin delete catalog"

4) Bingo! All server backup history purged from the catalog.

5) Install new HDD and configure server backups

6) Reformat old HDD

NOTE: The above command will purge all server backup history from the server! This was my goal because I was going to re-purpose my old hard disk and start a new backup schedule on a new higher capacity disk. I suggest you test this first on a test server.

Technet - Wbadmin

Edited by Noble6

@Noble6 - thanks for this. Useful to know, but since I rotate drives, I'd rather be able to remove just the server backup history of one drive at a time, once it gets full. Is there some magic incantation that will allow me to do this?

Thanks.

@Noble6 - thanks for this. Useful to know, but since I rotate drives, I'd rather be able to remove just the server backup history of one drive at a time, once it gets full. Is there some magic incantation that will allow me to do this?

Thanks.

Not sure if this will work with WSH 2011 but works in Windows 2008 R2 so give it a shot.

1) Remote to the server and logon as administrator

2) Open elevated command prompt as administrator

3) Type the following command - DISKSHADOW

4) Type LIST SHADOWS ALL

5) This will list all the shadow copies on your server

6) If you want to clear all shadows on a particular backup disk, in this example drive G type DELETE SHADOWS VOLUME G:

7) If you only want to delete a particular shadow copy then note the shadow copy ID of the copy you want to delete from step 4. Type DELETE SHADOWS ID <shadow id>

Example: DELETE SHADOWS {4e447fbf-dcf8-461e-a39f-8e13ffc34238}

8) EXIT

For system state backups you can wbadmin

wbadmin get versions

[-backupTarget:{<BackupTargetLocation> | <NetworkSharePath>}]

[-machine:BackupMachineName]

wbadmin delete systemstatebackup

{-keepVersions:<NumberofCopies> | -version:<VersionIdentifier> | -deleteOldest}

[-backupTarget:<VolumeName>]

[-machine:<BackupMachineName>]

[-quiet]

Edited by Noble6

@Noble6 - thanks, I do appreciate you giving me this info.

I just can't help asking myself, in an ironic voice: "and this is supposed to be a Home Server for Home Users?"

Edited by gcoupe

Change the retention periods for the various backup schedules. I believe the default monthly backup jobs is 5 months. So if you change that to one, the old ones will be eliminated. You could then chnage it back when you are satisfied this has worked.

@jmwills - we are talking here about the server backups - not the client PC backups. While WHS 2011 gives you the facility to access the retention policy for the client PC backups, it gives nothing away re the server backups. Hence we have to revert to RDP and command line scripts. Home User Fail!

@Noble6 - thanks, I do appreciate you giving me this info.

I just can't help asking myself, in an ironic voice: "and this is supposed to be a Home Server for Home Users?"

I agree convoluted even for the enterprise