RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Import Hyper-V VM into R2 without doing Export

BlakeK96

Ok. Long story short. I've been running WHS in Hyper-V on a WS2008 box for about a year now. Sunday I took a power hit which blew my UPS and took out the OS drive on my server. The RAID was fine. I just reinstalled and upgraded to 2008R2 and was able to see the VMs and VHDs on the server. Since the server crashed unexpectedly I was not able to do an export in Hyper-V. After installing R2 I tried to create a new VM using the VHD's that I had on my RAID but it complains that the 2 TB VHD used by WHS is corrupt. Is this just because it is a WHS formated VHD and I haven't been able to get the WHS VHD to boot yet? Also, I noticed that the drive letter of the RAID has changed so I will change that and see if that helps. I have the .xml files for the Virtual Machine but of course the GUID of the new one I am creating will be different as well as drive letter assignments.

I'm sorry this isn't the best description but my brain is mush right now. I wanted to post this just in case someone recognized the issues right away. I'll try and post further details in the AM.

Thanks for any insights.

Well I've been still working on this. I was able to recover the Virtual Disk which held the WHS partition and created a new VM using that but when I try and attach the 2 TB VHD which contained my data it still says it is corrupt. I've done a check disk on the raid and it says everything is fine and now file problems found. I tried using Winimage to mount the image and it mounts the image but if I try and export anything all I get is the complete directory tree / files but they are all only 1K in size. I tried doing some of the tips I've found online such as converting the fixed size VHD to a dynamic VHD but having issues with that. Anyone else have any wild guesses as to what I can try?

Thanks much

Unfortuantely I don't have any idea's for you but with the 1K size it is like it things the files are tombstones or links to the actual file. When you see these files, is it via explorer in an RDP session or is it via the shares link it puts on your desktop or a mapped drive?

IMTTOG: The 1K files are created on the host OS (WinServ 2008 R2) and are extracted from the VHD.

No-Control: The VHD is WHSv1.

Still no luck here. I've tried a tone of stuff but it looks like the file just may be corrupt and I may be out of luck.