RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

You movies metadata

Noble6

What do you use for populating your movies and videos metadata? On my W7MCE box I used Yammm which is light weight, multi threaded application which runs in the background as a service. But it looks like there hasn't been any updates for the application for a while and thus failing to find data for some movies. I had a look at My Movies but personally find it bloated for what I want to achieve. I want to run this on my WHS box to grab metadata and populate the movies folder in a format which will be compatible with the native Movies Library in Windows 7 MCE. Any suggestions welcome!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• ikon

• JediTim

• Noble6

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using MyMoviies for quite awhile and recently upgraded to the version for WHS 2011 and am very pleased.

I have been using MyMoviies for quite awhile and recently upgraded to the version for WHS 2011 and am very pleased.

+1

I've tried many, many metadata managers, including YAMMM, but the last few iterations of MyMovies just work. Not only is it extremely accurate by default, but the ability to make changes on the rare occasion it is wrong is easy and effective. Plus the ability to backup the database is a big advantage to me. It does have the overhead of SQL Server, but that hasn't been a problem for my systems.

Edited by timekills

+1 on MyMovies. Tough to beat. The Yammm interface is bit crude and is not feature packed as MyMovies. Add to that the hands off approach to disk copying and one of the best iPad apps to hit the iPad and you have a winning combo.

So it looks like My Movies all round. Are there any other alternatives? I won't be running the MM client on my MCE and all my disk copying/ripping is done on my workstation. I don't have an optical drive on WHS so the copying function is of no use to me. I just wish MM could use XML instead of SQL Express for a smaller foot print. How about the My Movies Collector? I installed it on my workstation but couldn't figure out how to update the movies folder with the metadata.

Edited by Noble6

So it looks like My Movies all round. Are there any other alternatives? I won't be running the MM client on my MCE and all my disk copying/ripping is done on my workstation. I don't have an optical drive on WHS so the copying function is of no use to me. I just wish MM could use XML instead of SQL Express for a smaller foot print. How about the My Movies Collector? I installed it on my workstation but couldn't figure out how to update the movies folder with the metadata.

Um, MyMovies does use XML for its metadata, the SQL database is used for collection management.

As far as I'm aware, you could continue to use the MCE Movie Library on your Media Center PC, and use the MyMovies Collection Management on your workstation, with the MyMovies database on your WHS. Note that MyMovies Collection Management is not intended to be run on WHS - you must run it on a client PC, and use it in client mode working against the server on WHS.

I've just tried adding one of my WHS Movie folders as a Media Library for the MCE Movie Library function, and it's displaying the metadata placed in the folders by MyMovies OK as far as I can see.

+1 for MyMovies.

Ive been using MyMovies for about 4 years now. It just keeps getting better and better.

Here is a video demo I did on MyMovies ver. 3 showing it within Media Center and TMT5.

The current ver. for MM is 4.

My Movies Demo

I installed Media Browser a couple of days ago. It seems to work fine as far as letting me see all my video files, including the ones Media Center wouldn't show me. It doesn't seem to do so well with metadata, so I installed Media Center Master last night. This app, to me, is very weird, and it doesn't seem to work very well, at least not for me. I was going to uninstall it and try MetaBrowser tonight, to see if it's any better. But, it seems everyone finds MM much better. It still seems overkill for metadata, but I may have to give it a try.

My biggest issue with MM was I found it very confusing; I couldn't figure out what I needed in order to get just the metadata, where I have to install it, and how it's supposed to be configured. The pricing system is very odd too. I also wonder if it integrates with Media Center at all.

My biggest issue with MM was I found it very confusing; I couldn't figure out what I needed in order to get just the metadata, where I have to install it, and how it's supposed to be configured. The pricing system is very odd too. I also wonder if it integrates with Media Center at all.

Yes, I can understand that MM is confusing at first. I had the same experience. Mind you, I found Mediabrowser even worse. MM's documentation could certainly be improved.

I think the key thing is to grasp that there are various flavours of MM that can be used in different configurations across your clients and your servers.

Let me assure you that it does integrate with Media Center extremely well. I've never bothered with the far more limited UI of Media Center's own Movie Library since installing MyMovies.

Now, I have MM for Media Center installed as a client on my HTPC. I have MM for Media Center installed as a client on my PC workstation - but there I mostly use it for Collection Management. I have MM for WHS 2011 installed as the server, and all works perfectly.