RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD ShareSpace

ikon

I just discovered a possible network storage option alternative I haven't seen mentioned in these forums; the Western Digital ShareSpace NAS. I don't much about it, but you can read about it here: WD ShareSpace Info

Nice unit. A third category. Pricing it competitive, minimal software set, Gig Ethernet. Seems to fall in between the Drobo/Synology and the EX-503 I just got. Now we need someone to buy one so we can have a shoot out. Thanks for the sharing the information.

Oddly (or perhaps not) they advertise that it uses their WD Green drives in their RAID configs. Interesting that folks are concerned with using non-enterprise class drives in their WHS while WD uses them in their own RAID system.

MaxPC did a review of the 8TB version:

"As you can see from the charts, the ShareSpace is one slow NAS box. Writing our collection of small files to the device consumed one minute and 36 seconds and writing our single large file took nearly five minutes. Read tests were better, but the ShareSpace fell far behind the Synology Diskstation DS409+ we used for comparison. Power consumption, on the other hand, was quite low: averaging just 32 watts while idle and 39 watts while writing."

For one, I have never been concerned about consumer grade drives in RAID as that seems to be a legacy thing. Unfortunately, the speed of this device as every other NAS I have seen does not cut it when it comes to performance. Not really understanding why either. It should not be the raid controller, the one in my ex-503 is faster than heck. It should not be gig Ethernet when a $10 card is capable of reaching full gig speed. So what is it? For this kind of money, you would think that someone, WD, Drobo, Synology, could make a device capable of utilizing the gig bandwidth. In terms of power consumption, not too bad. The Ex-503 I just tested with 5 2T drives was pulling about 40-42 under full load, and about 28 idling. Come on WD, you make great drives now make a great NAS....

The Ex-503 I just tested with 5 2T drives was pulling about 40-42 under full load, and about 28 idling.

Pretty impressive really. I look forward to getting my 2 EX-503s up and running when they arrive. Sorry to see the WD is not up to snuff.