RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup (sys) ?

Sam

I'd like to hear your recommendations;

- HP EX48x
- 3 drives; 1TB(0), 700GB(1), 1.5TB(2)
- After running the Hard Disk Ballancer, they are all at 50% used.
- All the important data is being duplicated (via WHS)

I know I can use an add-in to back up the client backups. However, that's not a big issue, since almost all the data is being stored in the WHS.

My biggest concern is the failure of the SYS drive. How would you recommend backing up the SYS drive? Mirror or Clone it?

I have 1 open drive bay, as well as possibility for external drives.

Thanks in advance,
.Sam.

How many add-ins are you working with? If none, I'd say it's almost not worth backing it up, as doing a server restore won't take that long. Then again, I'm quite lazy, so I know for me I don't bother backing up the sys drive.

Well I got my first:
"Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk" error"

Is there something special I should know about this? Should I just run "chkdsk/r" on drive c: ?

Thanks again
.Sam.

Sometimes the error will turn the connector icon red during a boot and then will go green after a few seconds. If this is what's happening, it can be ignored. Is that's what's happening ? When you check the Shared Folders Tab in the Console is showing that the folders are failing, then you have an issue.

Cloning a drive will not work properly. All your shared folders will show up as fail, and your sys drive will show up as missing.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01/17/forum-spotlight-how-to-successfully-clone-and-upgrade-a-whs-system-drive/

Here is a solution http://homeservershow.com/tranquil-pc-mirrors-your-windows-home-server-os-drive-in-raid-1.html

John (homeservershow).

Thanks John,
After a reboot the error went away.

Now, back to backing up. I guess, if I don't care about my PC backups, then there is not much to do ? ;-)

.Sam.

> Now, back to backing up. I guess, if I don't care about my PC backups, then there is not much to do ? ;-)

It really does depend on what you have installed on your WHS. Important functionality like remote search, provided by Windows Search 4, you'll need to install iFilters for both Acrobat and Office 2007+ to enable searching of these documents on clients.

WHS has no built-in ability to back up itself. How it makes sense for Microsoft to provide functionality to backup a client but not a server itself is beyond stupidity.

Anyways, here's a way a manual way to do it: How to successfully clone and upgrade a WHS system drive

I think the idea was that the system drive is expendable in the case of a failure. It can be restored and re-configured with only a little bit of work. At least for Joe Sixpack.
For those of us who have tweaked it, it takes more than a few minutes to be back up and running.

I can see both sides of the sys backup vers no backup. While their approach is fine for the average user, it isn't for those of us that likes to use add-ins, especially if you have more than two or three add-ins.