RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

When will the 4TB drives get released?

edamiga1

I am trying to figure out when the 4TB drives are going to be released. I would like to replace my 2TB drives that I currently have and get more room in my case. I know the 3TB drives are out there, but curious as to when the 4TB drives will be out. I cannot find anything that speaks to this and not sure why this has not already occured. Also curious as to when the 5 and 6TB drives would come out. The speed of release seems to really have slowed down significantly.

I am trying to figure out when the 4TB drives are going to be released. I would like to replace my 2TB drives that I currently have and get more room in my case. I know the 3TB drives are out there, but curious as to when the 4TB drives will be out. I cannot find anything that speaks to this and not sure why this has not already occured. Also curious as to when the 5 and 6TB drives would come out. The speed of release seems to really have slowed down significantly.

As with CPUs, I believe the manufacturers are coming up on the theoretical limits of what can be done with current tech. Back in 2000, Intel said we would have 10 GHZ CPUs by now; I'm still waiting for mine ;) Likewise, hard drives have increased in capacity by leaps and bounds, but I think those days are over, at least for a while.

Just for giggles, here's a link to a 2007 article where Hitachi claims they will have 4TB drives by 2011... wait, it IS 2011, and I still don't see no 4TB drives :)Hitachi 4TB

I read an article recently (sorry cannot remember where) that speculated that hard disks have now reached a point where they have outstripped demand - what could people possibly be storing that would require multi-terabyte disks ? The only answer today is large media storage but with the increase in cloud-based storage and services, the requirements for media storage are being replaced by streaming facilities. On this basis, the future market for larger and larger disks may not justify the cost of development.

Jim.

Exactly. Why pay $300 for a 4TB drive when you can get 2 x 3TB and put them in a RAID 1 enclosure for the same price. You may have a valid need for your 4TB drive but few manufacturers, at this point, have the market to produce them except for Enterprise clients, especially in this economy.

If given the choice of one 4TB drive or 3x2TB drives, I'd go with the 2TB for cost or possibly a 2x3TB configuration.

Exactly. Why pay $300 for a 4TB drive when you can get 2 x 3TB and put them in a RAID 1 enclosure for the same price.

Because that would only give you 3TB. With lower speed (probably, due to higher areal density on 4TB drive) and higher power requirements.

You may have a valid need for your 4TB drive but few manufacturers, at this point, have the market to produce them except for Enterprise clients, especially in this economy.

If given the choice of one 4TB drive or 3x2TB drives, I'd go with the 2TB for cost or possibly a 2x3TB configuration.

Less case space, less cabling, less power, (arguably) more speed. That's why 4TB > 2x2TB. True you could RAID 0 the 2x2TB with twice the failure rate probability.

Don't think as an enthusiast....think as a normal consumer. When I tell people I have 12 TB of storage at home, they look at me like I'm from Mars.

Cost will come down when there is a need and obviously manufacturers don't think there is a need in the marketplace. I could be way off base but I think it will be at least 2013 before you see a commercially available 4TB drive, within a reasonable price.

I agree with the need for storage space by anyone I know is no where near the what I use...I don't think any of my friends have more than 2TB and no one stores any video data other than myself. The normal consumer does not have any need for a 4TB drive. Not yet at least.

Just a couple of thoughts on the idea that capacity has outstripped demand...

I would counter the argument, just a bit, by saying that I believe data centers all over the world would welcome larger drives, and they use an enormous number of drives. I'll bet the server farm at my work uses more drives than all the employees use in their homes, combined.

Additionally, if people are moving to using the cloud or streaming services instead of local home drives, well, the cloud facilities have to have drives to store the data too. The data has to go onto hard drives at some point. I would argue that concentration of data into large data centers actually spurs demand for larger capacity drives; the people running these centers will demand it.

Why we need 4TB drives:

I want one big drive instead of two small drives because I take them offsite. I currently have to take 4 drives offsite, verses 2 if I had a 4TB drive.

Video all of these cameras and phones are now taking HD video, which takes a LOT of space. I think homve videos will be a major driver for storage.e.

The technology for density will continue to improve, because they will want to create 2TB drives with a single platter to lower the cost.

Putting 3 or 4 plaatters in a 3.5inch drive is then not anymore complex.

Solid state drives. Cost will come down and you can put a lot of 22nm memory in the space of a 3.5inch drive. This will still be many years away but by 2015 they will be here.

When I hear someone say there is no demand for a technical improvement, I am VERY skepticle. There is always room to improve...... Remember Bill Gates quote "who will ever need more than 640K of memory".....

Why we need 4TB drives:

I want one big drive instead of two small drives because I take them offsite. I currently have to take 4 drives offsite, verses 2 if I had a 4TB drive.

Video all of these cameras and phones are now taking HD video, which takes a LOT of space. I think homve videos will be a major driver for storage.e.

The technology for density will continue to improve, because they will want to create 2TB drives with a single platter to lower the cost.

Putting 3 or 4 plaatters in a 3.5inch drive is then not anymore complex.

Solid state drives. Cost will come down and you can put a lot of 22nm memory in the space of a 3.5inch drive. This will still be many years away but by 2015 they will be here.

When I hear someone say there is no demand for a technical improvement, I am VERY skepticle. There is always room to improve...... Remember Bill Gates quote "who will ever need more than 640K of memory".....

I agree. I just think physics is starting to limit what can be done on a single platter. Of course, multiple platters will enable capacity increases for some time to come.

BTW, that's a misquote of Bill Gates; he never actually said that. What he said was, "Nobody needs more than 640K", meaning that no one at the time would need more than 640K, and he was right. The media, as usual, sensationalized it.