RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time Machine Setup Problem

SETaft

After successfully setting up my wife's Mac to use the 470 MediaSmart Server for Time Machine backups several months ago, I can't repeat the process for my new MacBook Pro. The HP MediaSmart Server client software appears to install correctly on the Mac and calls for a reboot. Once restarted, I attempted to create a 600gb backup disk. It appears to complete successfully but, after several seconds of trying to start, it refuses yielding a Backup Disk Status of "not available" . I'm suspecting that it a "permissions" issue but don't know how to verify that. The Mac can see the the MediaSmart server on my network. I even installed the backup software from a subdirectory on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Is the mac still getting backed up. I have read that something changed and apple products are no longer backing up because HP is no longer updating the software.

What version of OSX, I know Lion has broken the HP utility as well as I think 10.6.7 version of snow leopard breaks it.

I'm back on the road for a few days so I can't confirm which version my wife's Mac Mini is running. But it is still successfully backing up to the HP MediaSmart Server. I have seen a few alternate solutions elsewhere and will give them a go when I return. Stay tuned for my results.

Edited by SETaft

I seem to remember that the first backup needs to be done over a wired connection, thereftaer wireless works OK. Not sure if you have tried that?