RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 Expansion With Samsung 2TB AFD.

Mike

Hello Homeserver show and BYOB crew. I need some help with my WHS v1 storage expansion. I bought a 5 bay eSATA box and two Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB drives to install in it. To make a long story short, I discovered that these advanced format drives don't have the 7/8 jumper setting so the drives will align properly. Here is what I'm thinking about doing and need your thoughts on: There is an alignment tool that I've downloaded from samsunhdd.com and installed on my WHS v1 server. I'm thinking about attaching the eSATA enclosure to the WHS v1 and install one of the drives. I'm then going to run the alignment tool for the samsung advanced format drive. When the alignment process is done, I'll add the drive to the server storage pool. My question is, will this process work? Please let me know what you think and thanks for your input.

/Mike Biel

Hello Homeserver show and BYOB crew. I need some help with my WHS v1 storage expansion. I bought a 5 bay eSATA box and two Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB drives to install in it. To make a long story short, I discovered that these advanced format drives don't have the 7/8 jumper setting so the drives will align properly. Here is what I'm thinking about doing and need your thoughts on: There is an alignment tool that I've downloaded from samsunhdd.com and installed on my WHS v1 server. I'm thinking about attaching the eSATA enclosure to the WHS v1 and install one of the drives. I'm then going to run the alignment tool for the samsung advanced format drive. When the alignment process is done, I'll add the drive to the server storage pool. My question is, will this process work? Please let me know what you think and thanks for your input.

/Mike Biel

You didn't say which eSATA box you bought. Have you checked to be certain it doesn't already support advanced format drives?

Most external enclosures have some 'smarts' in them that might interfere with the utility. Assuming that the external enclosure does NOT support advanced format drives, I would connect the Sammy, as a secondary drive, to a plain SATA port in one of my Win7 computers and run the alignment utility from there. After alignment I would then put the drive into the enclosure and connect it to the WHS.

You didn't say which eSATA box you bought. Have you checked to be certain it doesn't already support advanced format drives?

Most external enclosures have some 'smarts' in them that might interfere with the utility. Assuming that the external enclosure does NOT support advanced format drives, I would connect the Sammy, as a secondary drive, to a plain SATA port in one of my Win7 computers and run the alignment utility from there. After alignment I would then put the drive into the enclosure and connect it to the WHS.

The eSATA enclosure I got is a Rosewill RSV-S5. The documentation doesn't mention weather it supports advanced format drives or not. So, what you are suggesting is, that I attach it to another win7 machine and run the alignment tool there. Once that is done, I can put it into the enclosure and add it to the WHS v1 storage pool. That is a little cumbersome, but if it will work, then it's worth it. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

Edited by Mike

The eSATA enclosure I got is a Rosewill RSV-S5. The documentation doesn't mention weather it supports advanced format drives or not. So, what you are suggesting is, that I attach it to another win7 machine and run the alignment tool there. Once that is done, I can put it into the enclosure and add it to the WHS v1 storage pool. That is a little cumbersome, but if it will work, then it's worth it. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

I tried to find some more info on advanced format drives with the RSV-S5 but had about the same luck you had. One thing should be true; after realignment the drives should be fine in that enclosure.

You got what I was saying about realignment 100%.

I just think it's a bit risky to try to do the realignment with the Rosewill's electronics in the way. It might work, and if you're willing to take a chance on ruining a drive, hey, go for it. It would definitely be good info for everyone else to know. But, if you'd rather not take the chance I would attach the drive to a Win7 machine.

Connecting it via an eSATA dock like a Thermaltake BlacX would be the simplest (I have no idea if the realignment utility can work with a USB connected drive, but that's another test you could try if you're willing to take a risk, although I suspect this would be much less of a risk: it should work, or not work, and the software should tell you).

Good luck with it. Please post your results for everyone to share. Thanks.

Personally, if possible consider returning these drives and replace them for the standard non advanced format drives. In my opinion it is not worth the the trouble and can cause issues when you put them back later. In addition, running the type of application on your V1 with DE is also not a good plan. Safest bet is to get a compatible drive. If you have your heart set on doing this, then use a different system to run the application. Just my two cents.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I think I'm going to go the route of attaching the drives to my other Win7 machine and run the alignment tool there. I'll then add the drives to the eSATA enclosure attached to WHS v1 and add it to the storage pool. Thanks again. I guess I made a false assumption that all advanced format drives have the 7/8 realignment jumpers; I'll be more mindful in the future when ordering drives.

/Mike Biel

When you add them to the v1 storage pool, all formatting, partioning, ect. that you did with the win7 machine will be

wiped out.

The truth is though, that these drives emulate 512k sectors all the time, theres no way to turn it off. But even in an un-aligned

state, they run really quick.. if I remember correctly its the IOPS that suffer the most from being un-aligned.

Edited by tojoski

When you add them to the v1 storage pool, all formatting, partioning, ect. that you did with the win7 machine will be

wiped out.

The truth is though, that these drives emulate 512k sectors all the time, theres no way to turn it off. But even in an un-aligned

state, they run really quick.. if I remember correctly its the IOPS that suffer the most from being un-aligned.

Almost makes one wonder why they have an alignment utility. Course, maybe that's why there's no jumper option and the utility isn't highly advertised.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote a step-by-step guide on how to safely use AFDs in WHS v1. That can be found here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10097

There are actually two sets of instructions. The original is suitable for all drives. The alternate one is an accelerated process for newly added drives, and is intended to be carried out at installation time. The alternate process can actually be used for all drives, but it was written with new drives in mind.