RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hello all ... New 2011 user ... Question on whs and media integration

Sm4rt

Hi, new 2011 user here, been loitering with intent for some time and regularly listen to the podcast, but thought it was time to join the fun and just purchased an HP micro server, upgraded to 3Gb memory and added two 1Tb drives, along with the 250Gb drive it came with. The fact that this came with a £100 rebate in the uk meant that the total cost was

Micro server £130

WHS 2011 £37

Additional 2Gb £23

2x WD 1TB hard drives £65

A grand total of £255 (about $400?) which I think is very reasonable

Anyway, the question for my first post is to ask if anyone has tried using Polkast on WHS 2011. It says it is windows 7 only, but was hoping it might work on 2008 R2. Looks a good solution for sharing server based media and photos/ docs with mobile IOS, android and windows phone 7 devices. You need to install a server on the WHS and an app on the iPhone/ iPad etc.

Link: http://www.polkast.com/

Looks quite neat but if anyone has any alternative recommends, please let me know

Cheers, Martin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• timekills

• Sm4rt

• airbender

I will give this a try. My experience with software for Win 7 is that it all works fine with WHS. You may have to make a few tweaks if the app server does not automatically start correctly but there should be a solution.

I will give this a try. My experience with software for Win 7 is that it all works fine with WHS. You may have to make a few tweaks if the app server does not automatically start correctly but there should be a solution.

Thanks, had a read through the FAQs but pretty high level, no real detail e.g. under system requirements it just says win 7 only, nothing about min hardware spec etc

I'm away from home at the moment, so won't be able to try it myself until later in the week. Good point about it starting correctly, do you think it would install as a service?

Well this thing does not even run on Win 7. It has to be a 32 bit system which automatically rules out WHS 2011. This is not ready for prime time if it will not even install on on a 64 bit system. Hope you have better luck with it than I did. The bottom line is whatever runs on Win7 64 should run on WHS 2011. This thing runs on neither.

PolKast was designed to work on all versions of Win 7, 32 and 64 bit systems. HSS master, sorry to hear the problems you are having. Would you tell us a little more so we could track down the problem.

Edited by airbender

Hi, new 2011 user here, been loitering with intent for some time and regularly listen to the podcast, but thought it was time to join the fun and just purchased an HP micro server, upgraded to 3Gb memory and added two 1Tb drives, along with the 250Gb drive it came with. The fact that this came with a £100 rebate in the uk meant that the total cost was

Micro server £130

WHS 2011 £37

Additional 2Gb £23

2x WD 1TB hard drives £65

A grand total of £255 (about $400?) which I think is very reasonable

Anyway, the question for my first post is to ask if anyone has tried using Polkast on WHS 2011. It says it is windows 7 only, but was hoping it might work on 2008 R2. Looks a good solution for sharing server based media and photos/ docs with mobile IOS, android and windows phone 7 devices. You need to install a server on the WHS and an app on the iPhone/ iPad etc.

Link: http://www.polkast.com/

Looks quite neat but if anyone has any alternative recommends, please let me know

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin, Polkast should be a perfect mate for system like WHS. It should work. Our team will verify your configuration and get back to you. Feel free to send us your finding at feedback@polkast.com.

Thanks, had a read through the FAQs but pretty high level, no real detail e.g. under system requirements it just says win 7 only, nothing about min hardware spec etc

I'm away from home at the moment, so won't be able to try it myself until later in the week. Good point about it starting correctly, do you think it would install as a service?

Polkast was designed to work with Win 7 min hardware requirement and above. Thanks for the feedback.

Well this thing does not even run on Win 7. It has to be a 32 bit system which automatically rules out WHS 2011. This is not ready for prime time if it will not even install on on a 64 bit system. Hope you have better luck with it than I did. The bottom line is whatever runs on Win7 64 should run on WHS 2011. This thing runs on neither.

Last night I tried to install the server on the Win7 laptop I have with me .. I am using 64bit home premium ... The install went through ok and could see my laptop local libraries via my iPhone (using the app), could download music/ video & docs to play offline later, I also tried just using the play option. I would have expected thisnto start streaming instantly but it waited for the whole file to download to a temp location on my phone before would start playing. This is a problem for larger video files that I wouldnexpect to be able to start watching almost straight away - not surenif this isnan issue with how the iPhone handles files.

So had better luck than you seemed to have but will have to wait to the end of the week to try it on WHS 2011 - thanks for trying

Hi Martin, Polkast should be a perfect mate for system like WHS. It should work. Our team will verify your configuration and get back to you. Feel free to send us your finding at feedback@polkast.com.

Polkast was designed to work with Win 7 min hardware requirement and above. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks airbender ... I assume you have something to do with the Dev team for Polkast? I think all on this forum would be interested in knowing if Server 2008 R2 that WHS 2011 is built on would run the Polkast server and if it would install as a service, so it will automatically run following a WHS restart.

PolKast was designed to work on all versions of Win 7, 32 and 64 bit systems. HSS master, sorry to hear the problems you are having. Would you tell us a little more so we could track down the problem.

Got that impression from the literature, however I tried on two systems, both downloading the file as well as just running it and all four attempts failed and it would not install with an error message "Not a valid Win32 application" so tell what I am doing wrong. Might be a great app but if it will not install... My systems are straight forward and I do not run anything exotic in terms of software. Suggest you examine the install code. Will be glad to try again or if you have a better way in which I can install this.

Last night I tried to install the server on the Win7 laptop I have with me .. I am using 64bit home premium ... The install went through ok and could see my laptop local libraries via my iPhone (using the app), could download music/ video & docs to play offline later, I also tried just using the play option. I would have expected thisnto start streaming instantly but it waited for the whole file to download to a temp location on my phone before would start playing. This is a problem for larger video files that I wouldnexpect to be able to start watching almost straight away - not surenif this isnan issue with how the iPhone handles files.

So had better luck than you seemed to have but will have to wait to the end of the week to try it on WHS 2011 - thanks for trying

Glad you could get it to install. I still cannot on any of my systems. Thanks for the update as I would not be interested in something that would have to download an entire movie before playback anyway. Good Luck with it.