RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first WHS PITA moment - Video Library issue

Noble6

I came accross my first WHS issue. I encoded some movie files lastnight and copied them to the Videos folder on WHS. I then deleted these files and copied some other movie files. Well it seems that whenever I browse the Video folder from my Windows Phone, Xbox 360 or PC using WMP these deleted videos show up in D\$RECYCLE.BIN\{foldername} although it doesn't exists in the server. Emptying the reycle bin, switching media sharing on/off, re-running updatelibrary task and several reboots didn't resolve this issue. I then came accross this solution which worked for me. It seems the media database hasn't re-indexed the change for whatever reason so re-building solves the issue. So posting it here in-case some another newb like me has this issue.

link

1)

Please try server reboot.

2)After reboot, turn off media streaming from server dashboard.

3)Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

4)Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

5)Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

6)Turn on media streaming from server dashboard.Immediately, the database file is recreated.

:)

There are several oddities with the media stuff in WHS 2011 but have not heard of this one yet. Did you check you media files configuration to make sure that somehow the recycle bin is not included. Sounds silly I know but that is all I can think of.

There are several oddities with the media stuff in WHS 2011 but have not heard of this one yet. Did you check you media files configuration to make sure that somehow the recycle bin is not included. Sounds silly I know but that is all I can think of.

Well, its the default videos folder created by WHS in the D partition. I can't see how the hidden $recycle.bin would have been included in the media library. Its as though WHS indexed all videos in the D partition including the contents of the recycle bin. Or possibly by sheer coincidence I deleted the file as it was indexing it? quite odd. I have now disabled moving files to recycle bin for my media partitions.

geez, I'm not liking that so many people are having media issues with 2011. pcdoc, do you still think it's worth moving to 2011 with all these issues?

Well, its the default videos folder created by WHS in the D partition. I can't see how the hidden $recycle.bin would have been included in the media library. Its as though WHS indexed all videos in the D partition including the contents of the recycle bin. Or possibly by sheer coincidence I deleted the file as it was indexing it? quite odd. I have now disabled moving files to recycle bin for my media partitions.

Under you media library, click on customize and make sure only what you expect to checked is checked.

geez, I'm not liking that so many people are having media issues with 2011. pcdoc, do you still think it's worth moving to 2011 with all these issues?

Yes, I actually do. Although we tend to focus on the 2T limit (which think is overrated) and some minor issues on the media playback, overall it is a good experience. In my opinion I found it to be more robust and less temperamental than V1 and certainly much faster. The fact we do not have to rely on DE which tended to be at to root of most compatibility issues, is a blessing in disguise as it forced to look to more robust solutions even if we lost a bit of convenience in the process. In short I definitely think it is worth moving and never once found myself regretting it. I do think it becomes individual choice and everyone is going to have a different experience but mine has been very good overall.

Yes, I actually do. Although we tend to focus on the 2T limit (which think is overrated) and some minor issues on the media playback, overall it is a good experience. In my opinion I found it to be more robust and less temperamental than V1 and certainly much faster. The fact we do not have to rely on DE which tended to be at to root of most compatibility issues, is a blessing in disguise as it forced to look to more robust solutions even if we lost a bit of convenience in the process. In short I definitely think it is worth moving and never once found myself regretting it. I do think it becomes individual choice and everyone is going to have a different experience but mine has been very good overall.

thanks pcdoc. I haven't had any issues with 2011 media services yet, but then I haven's put any real stress on them. I have not found the streaming to be any better than my v1 - I'm still get extremely short glitches on playback from both. However, I have not tried your trick with some of the services yet.

• 2 months later...

I tried this fix and in mine it does not seem to have C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData this file. Thus I cannot even get to the rest of the location. Any and all solutions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well heres what I did if my stupidity helps anyone else thats awesome. Surfing the file structure in the left side of explorer shows no file called AppData, however typing the complete string in the navagation bar takes you right to it. So am I as big an idiot as I feel or is there something wrong with my server?