RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server.

JazJon

I started with the error while trying to launch Dashboard

"The server appears to be offline Do you want to sign in to offline mode?"

I followed the suggestion of uninstalling the Connector software, and uninstalling all .NET 4 framework things in Prorgrams/Features (control panel)

I rebooted, ran windows update, and the .NET 4 was re-installed. (after a few checks)

I also followed the suggestion from here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/5eeeae60-bef6-45ed-9bc9-f1af860b5787

"Try this:

1. Remote Desktop to the home server.

2. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Certification Authority.

3. Right click the SERVERNAME-CA. All Tasks - Renew CA Certificate."

It did say what do when asked about revoking so I said yes. (mistake? see below) :(

Now it's worse!

I cannot re-install the connector software at ALL after having it uninstalled.

When I go to: http://server/connect, I immediately get the website to download the software. When I click on the link, I immediately get the option to save or run. I run it, enter the Administrator password, and the I get:

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again. "

I checked the time on the workstation and server - they are both correct with time and time zone.

I found this but it doesnt help and sounds like I'm totally screwed/hosed now

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/71708425-bdbb-44c7-a280-ec3f7b51ca03

Did I miss something? When I messed with the Certificate stuff on WHS 2011, did I really F things up bad? I guess I can re-install the whole server and laptop from scratch if I "need" to but I'd rather not of course! :-(

I could be wrong, but I do recall someone saying that you have to reinstall the FULL version of .NET4

check to see the size of your download and google for the full version.

The server is most likely okay. Try removing the certs from the client and reboot. Trust relationships usually have to deal with what is known both to the server and client. Did you make any prior change to the client?

Either way, if you remove the certs and then download the connector software from the server, you should be okay. The only downside is you will see a client with the same name and appearing to be offline. The old backups will not be acessable.

I ran dotNetFx40_Full_setup and it asked if I wanted to repair or uninstall. I picked Repair, let it go, and rebooted when prompted. I tried to install the connector from http://homeserver/connect but I got the same error :-(

I tried running dotNetFx40_Full_setup again and picked UNINSTALL this time, it said I needed to remove .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and Extended packages first. (so I did so through control panel)

rebooted, re-installed .NET 4 FULL, windows updates, Connector again and NO joy :( :(

I hope I don't need re-install my server and or laptop from scratch. Not sure what to do next. The posts out there don't look promising no fix was presented

The server is most likely okay. Try removing the certs from the client and reboot. Trust relationships usually have to deal with what is known both to the server and client. Did you make any prior change to the client?

Either way, if you remove the certs and then download the connector software from the server, you should be okay. The only downside is you will see a client with the same name and appearing to be offline. The old backups will not be acessable.

I revoked the cert for the laptop on the server itself. I re-read what you said and you you said the cert from the client? (where are the certs removed from in Windows 7?)

This laptop that I can't join had Windows 7 re-installed serveral times in the last 24 hours. It's a new laptop and I had to start over for other reasons on the laptop. Now I cant get Connector working.

I don't mind losing backups etc, nothing to restore etc. Did I just mess things up by revoking the latest cert on the server itself though? (only revoked the newest one I saw for the laptop with problems)

The cert for the laptop on the server? I don't understand? There is only one Certificate and that is the one that is created during the server installation and distributed to the clients when they are joined to the server.

You need to restore the server from a backup in order to restore that certificate or either do a clean install. The certificate on any Windows machine can be found at:

Internet Options>Content Tab>Certificates

and the one issued by the Homeserver and located on the Homeserver should be within the "Intermediate Certification Authorities" tab and named "Homeserver-CA".

That same server on the client will be in the same place on the client except under the "Trusted Root Certfication Authorities".

The client does not issue a cert for the server to the best of my knowledge of the subject. You are getting the Trust Relationship error because the certs do not match.

Is the problem on only one computer? Can you borrow a friends laptop to tests your sever? If so there may also be some security/firewall issues with that one computer. I am not convinced the problem is with your server but rather with your laptop.

My only suggestion is to proceed carefully. I have a colleague at work who gets overanxious to get on with it when we think we know what to do to fix a problem and he often winds up making things worse before we can make them better again. It might perhaps be good to make a checklist before doing anything just to reinforce the steps in your mind.

Is the problem on only one computer? Can you borrow a friends laptop to tests your sever? If so there may also be some security/firewall issues with that one computer. I am not convinced the problem is with your server but rather with your laptop.

I uninstalled the connector on my Media Center computer in the livingroom. I just tried to re-install the connector and got the SAME error :-(

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again. "

The latest responses here confirm others are hopeless about fixing it.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/71708425-bdbb-44c7-a280-ec3f7b51ca03/

Will it looks like I need to rebuild my server anyway. S.M.A.R.T is reporting potential probelsm with reallocated sectors. I know it's not officially bad, but out of all 9 of my hard drives the C: is the only one with errors :( I'm going to use both excuses to rebuild. The good news is I confirmed with Alex from Stable Bit that my Drive Pool shares will automatically be picked up again after the re-install of OS/Drive Pool. The only add-in I need to setup again will be My Movies. I don't mind letting the Loose rebuild happen automatically of the data base. (I didn't customize anything anyway)

As a double precaution I'm going to re-install my laptop too. I just got this new thinkpad w520 a few days ago so It's not that big of a deal. All my data is on my server anyway.