RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Citezein

Server backup failing

Citezein

I have a WHS 2011 install that's been working fine for client backups, but is failing when trying to back up the server itself. The server has an extra 2TB drive that should back up the data drives. The backup is configured, but is always unsuccessful.

Looking at the backup details, the error is "Access is denied" for each of the drives. Has anyone seen this before or have a suggested solution?

diehard

Yes, I have had this experience. :angry: seems intermitent and unrelyable. I would try starting it several times and then it worked. Sorry, I don't have a fix. :(

bondisdead

I have had this problem before early on. For the server backup, i include the client backup database. The default backups are at 11am and 11pm (i think). my 11pm server backup was consistently failing with a not very helpful message, but my 11am backup was running okay. I noticed that the time for the backup was quite long at time, which didn't make alot of sense as I had not changed much to the server. I was suspecting that the server backup was colling with the client backups which occurred in the middle of the night. Perhaps it was because I was backing up the database which was currently being written to? or maybe the two processes interferred, I don't know.

I changed the server backup to only run at 10am (after i leave for work), and it's been alot more reliable. Still not 100%, but alot better than when I ran the nightly server backup.

timekills

I have a WHS 2011 install that's been working fine for client backups, but is failing when trying to back up the server itself. The server has an extra 2TB drive that should back up the data drives. The backup is configured, but is always unsuccessful.

Looking at the backup details, the error is "Access is denied" for each of the drives. Has anyone seen this before or have a suggested solution?

Are they removable drives? If so, try physically/manually removing and adding them back.

analog

This is not "scientific" but some things maybe noticed.

If using motherboard raid, having the server backup drive on another controller (because of the raid setting in the bios) seems to be more reliable.

using the other motherboard controller (if you have 2 onboard) seems to work ok. Also, running the server backup on a seperate controller card seems to work well.

External ESATA seems to have the most issues, for whatever reason. USB2 (slow) and USB3 (fast) seem to work well externally.

These are things that I think I have noticed and your observations may be different,and more accurate.

ikon

This is not "scientific" but some things maybe noticed.

If using motherboard raid, having the server backup drive on another controller (because of the raid setting in the bios) seems to be more reliable.

using the other motherboard controller (if you have 2 onboard) seems to work ok. Also, running the server backup on a seperate controller card seems to work well.

External ESATA seems to have the most issues, for whatever reason. USB2 (slow) and USB3 (fast) seem to work well externally.

These are things that I think I have noticed and your observations may be different,and more accurate.

I like to hear that USB3 is working well. I plan to use it for my new EX-503B (when it arrives) to do backup of the os drive and to mirror the data in my main pool.

Citezein

It seems excluding the computer backups has fixed the problem. I'd still like those backed up, but that was less important than my shared media. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

In other news, my new Vertex 2 drive has died on my main machine. I'll be restoring my latest WHS backup image to a new Intel 320 SSD tomorrow. I don't know what I'd do without WHS.

ChuckColeman

The Microsoft team is now starting to focus on this. Go to this link and post:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/734918/whs-2011-server-backup-failures#details

Click on the + Details (Expand) to see the post and be sure to upload your logs after downloading and running the log tool for WHS 2011. Here are more details on the tool:

To collect the log files please use the Windows Server Solutions Log Collector available athttp://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567.

Instructions for installing and using the Log Collector:

1. From a client PC, browse to the above link, download the tool and copy to a shared folder on the server

2. From a Client PC, launch Remote Desktop Connection (can be found in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories)

3. Type the name or IP address of your server and click connect

4. Type 'Administrator' for the user name and use the password that you would you if you were connecting a new computer to your server

5. Once connected, browse to the shared folder that you downloaded the Log Collector tool and run the installer.

6. The installer will place a shortcut to the tool on the desktop. Run the tool and it will collect the logs and place them in a shared folder.

7. From your client PC, grab the ZIP file that was generated and attach it to the bug report filed through Microsoft Connect.

Once you've filed the report, please post a link to the bug report to this thread so that we can keep a running reference for Microsoft in one spot.