RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 system drive size and type

e_merlin

Hi,

I have just placed an order for the core components to build a server to replace my aging EX475. I will provide some detail on components later.

What do I need for a system drive? Should I use a large drive and partition it? Is speed an issue or can I use green drives. Based on all the builds I have looked at it seems many are using 160 2.5 drives and separating the data to larger drives. I assume green drives are still fine for the data drives. I have been streaming no problem with my WD greens already.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have just placed an order for the core components to build a server to replace my aging EX475. I will provide some detail on components later.

What do I need for a system drive? Should I use a large drive and partition it? Is speed an issue or can I use green drives. Based on all the builds I have looked at it seems many are using 160 2.5 drives and separating the data to larger drives. I assume green drives are still fine for the data drives. I have been streaming no problem with my WD greens already.

Thanks in advance.

I am using 2 WD Scorpio Scorpio Black 500GB drives in a RAID configuration with an Icy Dock SATA HDD Converter (MB982SPR-2S). Quite a few here are using this as it takes up one SATA connector / one HHD position and provides a backup of the OS. The OS is the only data on these drives. I use WD green drives for my data storage.

Tim

I use a dual WD Black Caviar setup which is composed of dual 250 gig drives. I choose that size because frankly there was a minimal cost difference between that size and the minimal requirement of 160 gig drives.

I take the position that its the OS, you want your best performance there followed by reliability of either a RAID for data or some sort of drive extender solution. The ICY Dock adapter works great with a simple instruction.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I am also using the WD black 250 in an icydock. If you are using a multidrive setup, do not bother with a large system drive as you should not use for much.

Thank you for the responses. I will read the articles today and get familiar with the setup. This looks like a very robust way to set the system drive up. The only negative is cost. Having just spent broke my piggy bank on parts I will have to wait a month or so to complete the build, but it will be worth it.

Thanks for the information.

So - I have read the two above links and am looking for some confirmation for a raid 1 config. I am planning on 2 WD 250-500 depending on what the value is at the time of purchase.

Do I need to essentially install WHS twice? Meaning 1) install WHS on a temp drive, then install the icy dock configure it, 2) remove the other drives and install to the icy dock raid and re install the WHS OS? Can I do this in another PC and then install it?

One of the reviews mention not using their software. To accomplish the proper setup do I need to use need to use their software?

Thanks again.

NO. Set the RAID configuration on the device with the switch and the system will only see one drive. The RAID is being controlled by the software (J-Micron) on the Icy Dock device.

You could create a VHS image of your current configuration and then restore it once the new drive is installed.

NO. Set the RAID configuration on the device with the switch and the system will only see one drive. The RAID is being controlled by the software (J-Micron) on the Icy Dock device.

You could create a VHS image of your current configuration and then restore it once the new drive is installed.

Ok - I think get the first part, set the switch and forget it. Or are you saying I need to use there software first to create it. But if there is no OS to boot the computer to, then how can I run the software? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Could you explain the second? What is VHS and why would I want to do that, and what is the benefit.

TIA

Typo: should have been VHD image

Once that image is created, you can restore from the installation disc and the install process will find the locally stored image. A process akin to using Ghost, Acronis, etc