RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing an Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S as a mirror

Cino

I think I can do this but I want ask before I try it. Can I remove my OS drive and slap it in the dock with another hard drive(same size,model) and boot into WHS 2011 then setup the RAID 1 mirroring to the other drive using the Icy Dock's software? I want to avoid re-installing the OS or doing a restore.

I broke mine. Will be buying a new one, I liked it that much.

If you are shopping and find a great price, let me know or post it here.

I broke mine. Will be buying a new one, I liked it that much.

If you are shopping and find a great price, let me know or post it here.

I took a chance and bought a used dock from ebay. 36 bucks shipped. Took it to work to test and seems to run fine...Updated the firmware as it was behind.. Other then some scratches, seems to work pretty good. Need to get another 500g WD A/V 2.5 drive and slap it in my WHSBOX.

I wasn't going to do any RAID but since my old 2003 server had RAID it was only fair that the OS and D drive were RAID in the new box..LOL

If i come across a deal, I'll let you know.

You do not need to use the software for the mirror. It is better if you do it on the cage itself.

You do not need to use the software for the mirror. It is better if you do it on the cage itself.

Just set the setting on the cage? I can't remember if I saw a prompt during boot up to enter into its own BIOS or not

I don't remember getting that as an option. If you set it on the cage, it will appear that way in the OS. After you have the OS installed, you can use the software provided by IcyDock to manage the RAID. It's very slick. (now I have to buy another one!)

Just set the setting on the cage? I can't remember if I saw a prompt during boot up to enter into its own BIOS or not

It isn't in the BIOS. It is a switch on the cage, you can select 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. Then I believe there is a reset button you push on the cage under power. After that, go into the OS and you can see it is mirrored in disk management. No software is needed at all. That is just bloatware in my opinion. Stick to the hardware solution and make it transparent to the OS.