RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hpilot

What to do with HP EX 470

Joe_Miner

I'm going to suggest you try to get comfortable with WHS. It is the best bare metal restore I've used. To get more comfortable, I recommend you configure a spare system, or prehaps a spare drive into an existing system. Get it backed up to the WHS, then try doing restores. Do it a few times. If you have issues you can come here and ask questions. I think the odds are good you will end up with a robust and simple way to recover computers when needed.

ikon has a really great suggestion. Practice on a non-critical system now and collect the necessary 32bit drivers ahead of when you may need them.

I have 3 Win-7 x64 machines & knew about the 32bit driver issue -- the mistake I made was when I first needed to do a restore I found that I had some issues finding the right 32bit drivers -- turned out that I needed to use some old 32bit Vista drivers. Of course once I had the drivers it was pretty smooth sailing (after the first) and no restore problems since [i've done it about a half dozen times so far]. I would suggest also practicing doing partial restores -- I found it a simply & fast way to move large quantities of data between clients as well as recover a file that I accidently deleted.

I'm not sure how your drive letters were messed up -- I hadn't experienced that problem during any of my restores.

I like my V1 box but looking forward long term I'm thinking my restores are going to be much easier if I'm backing up to a V2011 box especially when Win8 starts replacing Win7.

hpilot

Again, all great suggestions. I think I will set it up just to do backups, and use the Synology as my media storage and server box. It sure would be great if I could install V2 software on my V1 box, but I assume that will not work...

ikon

Again, all great suggestions. I think I will set it up just to do backups, and use the Synology as my media storage and server box. It sure would be great if I could install V2 software on my V1 box, but I assume that will not work...

It should be possible. The factory CPU is an AMD Sempron 3400+ that supports 64 bit. That's the main criteria for 2011. The other issue could be the RAM. The stock RAM was only 512K, but there are articles on how to boost that to 2GB. All in all, that should be fine for 2011.

hpilot

It should be possible. The factory CPU is an AMD Sempron 3400+ that supports 64 bit. That's the main criteria for 2011. The other issue could be the RAM. The stock RAM was only 512K, but there are articles on how to boost that to 2GB. All in all, that should be fine for 2011.

That's great news! I really don't care how slow it is. It would also solve my 32bit driver problem. I'm kind of stoked now about turning this into a project!

ikon

That's great news! I really don't care how slow it is. It would also solve my 32bit driver problem. I'm kind of stoked now about turning this into a project!

cool. Before you jump into it, I think it would be good to get confirmation from diehard and/or the BYOB guys.

diehard

Good to hear. Yes all the MediaSmart Servers are 64 bit compatible and there are a few tutorials on installing WHS2011 on these boxes. I would suggest upgrading the ram to 2GB. However it requires you to completely take apart the server, but the good news there is that there are some videos available. Check out my site at http://youtube.com/windowshomeserver jpltim also has some videos, you will find the links there.

WHS2011 will run faster on the server because it's 64 bit and you no longer have Demigrator that slows streaming if you have folder duplication running. But WHS2011 is not as friendly as WHSv1. So that's up to you, but again you can test with a spare hard drive having WHSv1 and switch out the drive with an other running WHS2011.

And we are here to help. :P