RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to do with HP EX 470

hpilot

I have an HP EX 470, and my desktop computer just would not back up anymore. All the other computers backed up fine. I finally gave up and got the Synology DS1511+. WHS v1 is just not compatible with my 64 bit Windows 7. I did a full system restore one time, and I had to spend over an hour on the phone with HP Tech Support to get it to work. As far as I know, the EX 470 is otherwise working OK. I hate to throw it away. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

You could use it as a backup storage device but I'm interested in the "not compatible with Win7 x64" comment. I've restored six of my home PCs that use Win7 x64 with no issues; laptops and desktops alike. The only gotcha is you have to supply the 32bit version of the network drivers on the restore CD/USB drive as by default it copies over the native - i.e. 64 bit - drivers which won't work when trying to restore from (32 bit) WHS v1.

Edited by timekills

I have one for sale as well but i've restored 64 bit clients with mine. Too bad you didn't come here as we could have helped. It's sometimes more difficult to restore a 64 bit client but can be done.

Dave

After my 495 I will never have another box that doesn't have video out.

I have an Acer h340 and I feel exactly the same; not having video/kb/mouse capability is a real PITA.

You could use it as a backup storage device but I'm interested in the "not compatible with Win7 x64" comment. I've restored six of my home PCs that use Win7 x64 with no issues; laptops and desktops alike. The only gotcha is you have to supply the 32bit version of the network drivers on the restore CD/USB drive as by default it copies over the native - i.e. 64 bit - drivers which won't work when trying to restore from (32 bit) WHS v1.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. You are right about the 32bit drivers. I had to plug in a thumb drive with the drivers during the the restore. Also it got all the drive letters and drive sizes totally screwed up, and it took a while to figure out what it was doing. The whole experience really shook my confidence level with this backup solution. I think I will give it some more thought, and maybe just hang on to it for a while.

In the mean time, I am loving the Synology. With SHR it works just like Drive Extender in WHS, and I can lose a whole drive without losing any data. The only problem is there is no built in image backup and restore. All third party solutions I have researched have terrible reviews. Any backup suggestions will be welcome. I am thinking of just using the built in Win7 Image backup.

hpilot, continue to hang out here and ask questions, it will help you to become comfortable and informed about your EX470 and WHS. You can also check out the http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ forums for more EX470 news.

If your comfortable soldering and taking your server apart, you can build a VGA cable and convert the server to a Windows 7 64 bit box or at least have more confidence in WHS since you can see what's going on. I've built a few cables for friends and they are much more confortable now that it's not headless.

Worse case it you want to give it away, you can send it to me, I would like to hack the case to add vga/ps2 and a LCD display.

The whole experience really shook my confidence level with this backup solution. I think I will give it some more thought, and maybe just hang on to it for a while. The only problem is there is no built in image backup and restore. All third party solutions I have researched have terrible reviews. Any backup suggestions will be welcome. I am thinking of just using the built in Win7 Image backup.

I'm going to suggest you try to get comfortable with WHS. It is the best bare metal restore I've used. To get more comfortable, I recommend you configure a spare system, or prehaps a spare drive into an existing system. Get it backed up to the WHS, then try doing restores. Do it a few times. If you have issues you can come here and ask questions. I think the odds are good you will end up with a robust and simple way to recover computers when needed.