RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Admini(mize my ability to logon to my server!)

BigSpenderNOT

I took your guys' advice and installed Adminime early this week on my home built server with the intention of paying for the full featured app (almost did that before installing the puppy... good thing I decided not to do that right away). It installed just fine, but it seemed to bring my server to it's knees! After two hard reboots where the red "busy" light on my WHS was on constantly, I finally got it uninstalled through the console (after many trials and errors that were given to me by the WHS console login). Thank goodness! Maybe it didn't like my hodge podge of drives (7 internal ranging from 500GB to 2TB and 4 external ranging from 500GB to 1.5TB) or just the amount of drivespace (~15TB)... either way Adminime did not like my machine one bit... or vice versa, I guess. Scary! Anybody else have a weird issue like that?

Hi BigSpenderNOT,

Atm I haven't received any issue like the one you are describing from any user.
Could you please send me this file from on your server: c:\temp\adminime.log
Also have a look in the Event Viewer on your server to see if there are any suspicious entries in there.
Do you think the performance hit was caused by disk access, CPU or memory? Do you have an idea on that? As you are saying the 'red' busy light, is that the one from disk access?

Regards,
Nick

Good call with the event log... I've got literally hundreds of these errors:

Source: Adminime
EventID: 911
Exception while writing to log!(The process cannot access the file 'c:\temp\adminime.log' because it is being used by another process.)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I actually installed it on my machine before I went to work one day and everything seemed cool, but then got home to all the craziness. I'm sure there are so many entries because I did not find out the problems right away.

I found the file you asked for also... have never tried to add a file to a forum... if you don't see a file on here shortly I may need some instructions :)

I'm guessing the red light is for disk access, but actually am not sure... It's the main flickering light on my WHS box. Seems like I should really know what that light is telling me shouldn't I? Haha, oh well. Sorry my first post was vague about that.

EDIT: I can't seem to find a way to post the file, plus I'm not sure if it has anything that is specific to my machine (darn hackers). Just PM me or something with your email and I can shoot it off to you. Thanks for looking into this issue... Definitely willing to try it again if you have a fix you're really confident in... although I'm not too keen on being the guinea pig... too much data on my server for that! :)

Just send everything to support [at] asoft-ware.com
Probably the system is slowing down so much because there is an exception in one of the core functions that queries info, which in turn tries to log it to the file, but that there are so much that it gets overloaded, and then writes to the event viewer which takes a bit longer than writing to the file and that this creates a domino effect in bringing everything down.
But it would be good to know what is causing it, so I hope something in the log file might give me an idea.

Cheers,
Nick

Well, Nick over at asoft-ware has been working to get a fix going regarding this issue and seems to have a pretty good bead on it so that, at least, it will not cripple a system if the same issue arises again. Of course, if I weren't such a fraidy-cat in regards to add-ins, I could run a test on my system which would probably help him even more. At this point, though, I just do not feel comfortable doing that. Nick has been very gracious and concerned with the problem and has been a pleasure to work with. I will definitely try the add-in again at some point (because I do think it is really cool), but probably after a few more point updates! :-) Thanks to Nick and thanks to Dave for alerting him to the problem through the forums. Keep on rockin'!

Nick,

I didn't see a section on your site for release notes. Can you add that so that we can see what has changed with each version you put out.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I've bought and installed AdminiMe and it seems to be working fine.

I do have one observation. In the Configure tab, down in Event Viewer, the check box for System doesn't stick when I select it. As soon as I hit 'Apply', leave the Configure tab and come back, System is unchecked again. Any thoughts?